Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Display Name
Dudzie
I mainly give feed my axolotls with frozen haddock and earthworms
sometimes they get frozen bloodworms aand pellets
and i handfeed them every other day
When they dont wanna eat more, i usually leave some food in there for about half an hour. sometimes it's gone and sometimes its still there [then i remove it].

but based on the 'belly should be as big as its head', they are all too skinny
should i feed them everyday until they get 'fatter', or should i find more fattening food?
oor maybe something else?

All advice is welcome :)

btw, here are some pictures :)

Attachments

• IMG_6622.jpg
    IMG_6622.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 2,455
  • navnleysi.jpg
    navnleysi.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,618
  • hurd.jpg
    hurd.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 630
I would try offering them the worms daily and drop the haddock. If you can find fresh water fish , this would be a much better option.

when i got my 2, one was skinny and also alot smaller than the other as he was always last in the queue for food. i found dropping a few pellets in the tank throughout the day whenever i went upstairs helped. it obviously depends if they will take them.

Feeding several earthworms every day really helped put some weight on my skinny guys. Now they're looking fabulously healthy :D

Once they're on a correct weight, you can decrease the amount you give, how often you feed them. But if they're skinny, definitely feed them every day.

I don't think frozen haddock is a suitable fish at all... Animals in the wild need a whole source of food not a fillet.
It's always best to feed a whole animal as they'll get the balance if eating the bones gut & flesh - not just flesh. Even if we don't find the thought of guts enticing - the animals will :)

<3 >o_o< <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back