Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Slate tiles

Tiarette

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was recently planning a rehab on my aquatic newt tank and was leaning toward a slate rock bottom instead of going pure bare bottom. The sand has become a nuisance and I worry about impaction.

I was reading that natural slate tiles are ok to use in the tank but what would you use to adhere it to the bottom of the tank? Just silicon? Should I cycle water through when it cures?
I was hoping to find a solid piece instead of piecing together tiles to cover the bottom but its been hard to find any rock/granite places that custom cut.

Also, for those who go bare bottom/slate, do you use terracotta pots for your floating plants or just anchor them in another way?

Thanks,
Tia

Herpin Man

Reaction score
As far as adhering to the bottom, I would just use gravity. It's easier to clean that way, as the tile would be removable. No extra "cycling" is necessary.
I use a bare bottom for my newt tanks. I use class jars and bowls for planting. I also use floating plants that don't need to be rooted.

Viking

Reaction score
I have had newt tank for months. You do not need substrate. Floating plants do not need to be tried down. Slate will work fine. It is an expensive solution.

Floating plants cover a wide range Duck weed is ugly but does soak up nitrates (also ammonia). Hornwort loves most conditions with nitrogen. If you want other plants you can super glue plants un=connected plants to rocks or wood. Java fern and anubias are good example. My Spanish Ribbed newt female loves to lat eggs on Cambomba. They arte many choices. Want do you like the look of?

When you have lots of plants, algae is not a problem. You can add snails to remove the algae. I like Ramhorn. I smash some when they are too many.

Many newts like to hide in plants especially larvae.

PDONTnAMBY

Reaction score
I did a slate bottom for a riparium-type setup and really liked how it turned out. Definitely advise against trying to affix the slate to the bottom of the tank. Make sure you give some forethought to how you'll get the pieces down to the bottom and fit them there if you're going for complete coverage--it's easy to overlook that and scratch the sides of your tank (or worse) trying to fit them in!

I went to a big flooring outlet and asked the manager how much for broken pieces (of which there were plenty); he ended up giving them to me for free. If you need to cut some pieces the easiest way is to have the store do it, but if that's too blue for your blood and you're willing to put in some elbow grease, a tungsten-carbide rod blade on a hacksaw will do the trick for pieces under 1/2" thick. Best of luck, looking forward to seeing the results!

Tiarette

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies.

I'll deffinitely post once I get it done! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!