Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Slime algae problems

duncan

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had to deal with the fluorescent green slime algae that is plaguing my T. cristatus tank (the aquatic portion). I've dealt with this algae (actually a cyanobacteria) before in my tropical fish aquariums and short of tearing down the tank are there any suggestions? I make regular water changes and my water is not high in phosphates or nitrates, which I know may contribute to this type of "algae." In my fish tanks, a rigorous regimen of water changes coupled with treatment using erythromycin (at half the recommended dosage) has dealt with the problem in the past, but I am reluctant to use the erythromycin with the newts. Help!
Thanks,
Duncan

E

elisabeth

Take the tank out of the sunlight. Maybe add some snails or something that will eat the stuff.
I've also had some brown stuff growing on my fake plants in my tank. Anyone know what that's all about?

duncan

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion Elisabeth but I forgot to mention that the tank gets no direct sunlight and nothing eats this stuff , not even snails!
By the way the brown stuff growing on your plastic plants is most likely a type of algae (not all algae is green). Pretty normal for relatively low light situations. Unless you have a completely sterile tank (not the greatest for newt keeping in my opinion), there will always be some algae in your tank. The other posibility is that it might be a type of freshwater diatom. These can be pretty tough to get rid of (and often look kind of like brown jello) but unless its absolutely taking over (which diatoms can sometimes do), its most likely just algae. Either rinse off your plastic plants under the taps or try some of the living low light plants mentioned in the other thread.
Thanks,
Duncan

J

jesper

Hi,
I have had problems with algae but when I get them I usually just add some extra floating plants(hygrophila polysperma, ludwigia natans(repens) etc) for a while, the bacteria/algae cant take that kind of competition. If this doesnt help turn off the light for a week or so, this will get rid of the little buggers. Nowadays I always use tanks with loads of plants and I havent had problems since.

cheers Jesper

E

elisabeth

Thanks Duncan. I have been occasionally rinsing it off, and it comes back. I just don't like the way it looks, but it's not a huge problem because it's not everywhere. Thanks again though.

han

Reaction score
Try filtration (in one of the canisterfilterunits)
with zeolite, australian clay pieces. It helped me getting rid of the slimey light-green algea within two weeks. zeolite absorbs ammonia. change it when the claypieces have turned into a greenish-blue.

J

jennifer

Duncan, I have blue-green algae too, I know exactly what you are talking about. In one case, it smelled so bad, and was so persistent, that I did eventually have to tear down the tank and sterilize. I have it now in one tank, but not very bad. I remove it by hand (it often comes off in sheets) and for the moment that is good enough. Maybe I will try the zeolite.

Elisabeth, brown algae is normal, it's often the first algae to move into a newly-set up tank. Just rub it off from the glass and anwhere else that it looks bad.

E

erik

speaking of snails, will my newts go after the snails? I like the idea of using nature to keep my tank clean.

S

samuel

i tink it depends on the size of the snails and also the type of newts you have. i'm sure if they're well fed they wouldn't go for escargot:p
haha i have brown algae too! or so it seems, i used to think that it was churned up newt poop.

E

elisabeth

Erik, some people like snails, some don't. Your newts probably won't go for them, as I'm sure they have yummy worms to eat.
If you do use snails, make sure they're bigger than your newt's mouth, but small enough so they don't for any reason hurt the newts. And don't get too many, they tend to poop a lot.

duncan

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions about dealing with the slime algae. I'm making lots of water changes and we'll see what happens. There are already tons of plants in the tank, but I think I'll add some floating ones to see if that helps. As Jesper implied, floating plants are good at sucking up excess nutrients in a tank, leaving nothing for the algae. Just curious though, how would the erythromycin I mentioned affect the newts? I won't be using it, but it is a sure fire treatment in getting rid of cyanobacteria infestations in freshwater fish tanks.
Thanks again,
Duncan

S

samuel

Since it's an antibiotic, i would figure it might destroy the nitrifying basteria in yer tank so that would mean no more biological filter. You'll have to do more water changes to bring down ammonia and nitrite levels and that might stress the newts, try not to use it unless it's very urgent. I think jesper's idea should work.Newt's health above aesthetics!!!

A

aaron

Hey John, where are you? Any idea if erythromycin is ok for newts?

~Aaron

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1