yellowpebble

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Rachel
my eggs are developing much slower than the time frame outlined here:

Axolotls - Embryo Photo Log

its been about a week and they are only up to 'day 4' in the chart. They are developing, just slowly.

do they vary in time or is something wrong? perhaps temperature? :confused:

they do seem to be growing strongly so does it matter anyway?

Temperature plays a big part, they develop faster at around 21C but when you hit 24 or 25 it can kill them. Lower temps will have them develop slower. It's just like an axie's metabolism with regardsw to temperature I guess. Eggs develop at different rates as well, you may have 1 or 2 that are forming nicely and the rest are slacking. That's normal. Unless they are all cloudy you have nothing to worry about just keep an eye on the temp :)

thanks, i might try to warm them a bit, they are sitting at 16-17C, the same temperature as the parents. I will do a slight water change and maybe put them in some indirect sunlight.

I've noticed that tempretrure is a huge factor! Even after they hatch. My first batch developed really slow and didn't get any back legs until about three to four months. My second batch (with a heater at 21 C) Are already developing their back legs and they are probably a month and a half old. Tempreture will affect them greatly.

I wouldn't try forcing them to speed up. 16 degrees is fine. I'd just be patient and let them go at their own pace

thanks guys! its really cold here at the moment, sitting on 0 degrees C during the day, and its only the start of winter. So room temperature is quite low :(

there are about 10 or so which are white and cloudy, should i remove them as soon as possible or is it ok to leave them in untill the rest hatch?

I agree.16c is a fantastic temperature for them. I wouldn't warm them up any.

The cloudy ones are probably not fertile. There usually isn't any harm in leaving them with the rest.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back