Slugs as food for axies

limnologist

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to know what the public thinks of slugs as food for an axolotl. mine seem to prefer them to anything else. Any observations?

I would proceed with caution unless you are breeding them yourself. Snails and slugs are a frequent intermediate host of amphibian parasites, particularly nematodes. Here is an interesting article for you on the relationship between these parasites and the intermediate and end hosts.

Slugs are enjoyed very much by my S. s. terrestris, so it doesn't surprise me that you say you're lotls love them too. Slugs are my S. s. terrestris favorite food, but I don't keep axies so I don't know how much they like them. Though simply from reading this site and elsewhere, it seems most Caudata love them. -Seth

I feed the slugs I find in my worm farm to my axies - they love them. Slugs are a natural food for axies, so if you're confident they are not contaminated they are fine.

I feed the slugs I find in my worm farm to my axies - they love them. Slugs are a natural food for axies, so if you're confident they are not contaminated they are fine.

How can you be sure if they are contaminated or not? My garden is overrun with slugs and I'd dearly love to put the little buggers to use as a food source, but I don't want to accidentally give the axies a parasite.

How can you be sure if they are contaminated or not? My garden is overrun with slugs and I'd dearly love to put the little buggers to use as a food source, but I don't want to accidentally give the axies a parasite.

I am trusting my own judgement here - if the worms from my worm farm are safe for my axies then the slugs from the same environment should be safe too. The main parasite for slugs are nematodes, which shouldn't cause a problem for healthy axies.

I wouldn't use slugs from my garden or patio.

Axolotls eat slugs and snails, but I've stopped feeding them because they can probably be infected by canine and feline lungworm as intermediate hosts. Cats are impossible to keep out of my garden. The views expressed by this vet reflect my current views. Lungworms in Dogs, what about Reptiles?!

I would proceed with caution unless you are breeding them yourself. Snails and slugs are a frequent intermediate host of amphibian parasites, particularly nematodes. Here is an interesting article for you on the relationship between these parasites and the intermediate and end hosts.

Although its pretty difficult, I do breed them

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back