Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Slugs

cowtipper

Reaction score
Hello all,

Frist post but have been lurking for a while...

Ok on to my question. Living in the northwest, what do you think about feeding my new friends slugs,,,, yep slugs? I've had them for about 6 months and they are doing well on worms and feeder guppies..

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
I occasionally feed my guys slugs..and they seem to enjoy the change from worms. But do watch out for the escapees :rolleyes:

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Slugs can be host to parasites than can be carried over to axolotls. They make a fine food though and if you breed them yourself, they will not give their parasites to the young, which can be fed with confidence.

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1