Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Small limbs, re-growing or bad genetics?

Asholotl

Reaction score
So. I dont know if its him having bad genetics. or if his limbs are regrowing.
He was in what looked like a 10gal tank with two other Axolotls, no hides, dirty water and lights on all the time/blacklight here and there when i found him.

So when i got him, he had smaller gills (they have been getting fluffier since i got him!), but his legs haven't changed a bit. i don't know if its bad genetics or if they let the poor thing continuously lose parts of his body.

Ive been checking his water constantly making sure its the right ammonia and everything. -cycle restarted-
he's been pooping just fine but being stubborn with his earthworms. he'll eat bloodworms time to time, but i have to wait it out a bit for him to eat the earthworms. (he will gobble them up, chew a few times and spit them out with all their worm guts flying in the water *cause i cut them up*. but will just swallow up bloodworms)
his water is at 60°f (15-16°c?)

I also am doing daily water changes cause of a broken cycle from moving him to a longer tank, and I'm poop spotting and food spotting every time I look at his tank. which is a lot
I cant tub my axolotls even if i wanted to my cat and dog would try to get to them. so i have been doing daily water tests and changes. . (my bf thinks i'm obsessed with it even though its just once a day if the reading is perfect...)

(all the pictures are semi recent to semi old. the ones with (real) plants in them are the semi old like a few days old or so or longer)

Attachments

• PXL_20220114_092157923.jpg
    PXL_20220114_092157923.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 752
  • PXL_20220114_104531407.jpg
    PXL_20220114_104531407.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 103
  • PXL_20220114_104900267.jpg
    PXL_20220114_104900267.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
  • PXL_20220114_104940474.jpg
    PXL_20220114_104940474.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 98
  • PXL_20220110_204640807.jpg
    PXL_20220110_204640807.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 97

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
So. I dont know if its him having bad genetics. or if his limbs are regrowing.
He was in what looked like a 10gal tank with two other Axolotls, no hides, dirty water and lights on all the time/blacklight here and there when i found him.

So when i got him, he had smaller gills (they have been getting fluffier since i got him!), but his legs haven't changed a bit. i don't know if its bad genetics or if they let the poor thing continuously lose parts of his body.

Ive been checking his water constantly making sure its the right ammonia and everything. -cycle restarted-
he's been pooping just fine but being stubborn with his earthworms. he'll eat bloodworms time to time, but i have to wait it out a bit for him to eat the earthworms. (he will gobble them up, chew a few times and spit them out with all their worm guts flying in the water *cause i cut them up*. but will just swallow up bloodworms)
his water is at 60°f (15-16°c?)

I also am doing daily water changes cause of a broken cycle from moving him to a longer tank, and I'm poop spotting and food spotting every time I look at his tank. which is a lot
I cant tub my axolotls even if i wanted to my cat and dog would try to get to them. so i have been doing daily water tests and changes. . (my bf thinks i'm obsessed with it even though its just once a day if the reading is perfect...)

(all the pictures are semi recent to semi old. the ones with (real) plants in them are the semi old like a few days old or so or longer)
i suspect it’s just going to take a little while for him to regrow his limbs. ive seldom heard of an axie just not regrowing things, so i don’t think it’s a problem there
in the meantime you seem to be taking excellent care of him. keep it up with the water changes and feed him well, then he should start regrowing things here pretty soon :)

Asholotl

Reaction score
i suspect it’s just going to take a little while for him to regrow his limbs. ive seldom heard of an axie just not regrowing things, so i don’t think it’s a problem there
in the meantime you seem to be taking excellent care of him. keep it up with the water changes and feed him well, then he should start regrowing things here pretty soon :)
I hope so. I don't want to find out he has small toes syndrome. I dont know what id do.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
I hope so. I don't want to find out he has small toes syndrome. I dont know what id do.
he generally doesn’t seem to have the body shape for it, so i don’t think he does. he’s also healthy looking otherwise :)

Asholotl

Reaction score
he generally doesn’t seem to have the body shape for it, so i don’t think he does. he’s also healthy looking otherwise :)
Thank goodness. ;u;!! Also! I've asked my bf to get me some Grub pie and worm shaped molds for it.
he's been super picky on his food so hopefully i can get some of that in him so he doesnt always be a butt for bloodworms. Sometimes he takes the worm, most of the time he takes the bloodworms faster.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Thank goodness. ;u;!! Also! I've asked my bf to get me some Grub pie and worm shaped molds for it.
he's been super picky on his food so hopefully i can get some of that in him so he doesnt always be a butt for bloodworms. Sometimes he takes the worm, most of the time he takes the bloodworms faster.
ive also had some feeding difficulties lately, i’m trying to fatten up my mudkip a bit but she just isnt interested in food most of the time (she eats regularly, like once every two or three days, but it’s as much as i can get her to take)
here’s a video of mudkip showing interest in the worm, but not enough to snap at it
:/
(will probably make my own post at some point)

Attachments

• IMG_5074.MOV
    43.6 MB · Views: 0

Asholotl

Reaction score
ive also had some feeding difficulties lately, i’m trying to fatten up my mudkip a bit but she just isnt interested in food most of the time (she eats regularly, like once every two or three days, but it’s as much as i can get her to take)
here’s a video of mudkip showing interest in the worm, but not enough to snap at it
:/
(will probably make my own post at some point)
such a cutie though!

I'm afraid to give big worms to my axolotl without cutting them up to small sizes, -normally give a half of a huge worm to Boba and a full worm cut up to Mochi or a lot of pellets of sinking carnivore pellets.-
like the worms I have are about that size but huggeeeee. maybe he will show more interests in them if he cant taste the guts.....

How much size of a worm do you feed mudkip?? i have a ruler handy and can prob measure the two i have and then the worms i have too....

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
such a cutie though!

I'm afraid to give big worms to my axolotl without cutting them up to small sizes, -normally give a half of a huge worm to Boba and a full worm cut up to Mochi or a lot of pellets of sinking carnivore pellets.-
like the worms I have are about that size but huggeeeee. maybe he will show more interests in them if he cant taste the guts.....

How much size of a worm do you feed mudkip?? i have a ruler handy and can prob measure the two i have and then the worms i have too....
thanks! she knows very well how gorgeous she is and 100% uses it to her advantage
i feel terrible cutting up worms, to be honest. i have a phobia of worms as well (both big and small, makes detritus worms the scourge of my existence)

i feed her just a regular nightcrawler, probably around two inches

Asholotl

Reaction score
thanks! she knows very well how gorgeous she is and 100% uses it to her advantage
i feel terrible cutting up worms, to be honest. i have a phobia of worms as well (both big and small, makes detritus worms the scourge of my existence)

i feed her just a regular nightcrawler, probably around two inches
alright. I'll just measure them out, and if they are too long snip them.
I always feel bad snipping them cause they do writhe in pain. ): Makes me feel sad.
I do it cause all i want to do is make my axolotls happy and fat.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
alright. I'll just measure them out, and if they are too long snip them.
I always feel bad snipping them cause they do writhe in pain. ): Makes me feel sad.
I do it cause all i want to do is make my axolotls happy and fat.
felt, i just want my mudkip to be happpyyyyy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!