Small lump on Tiger Salamander Tail !!HELP!!

TheOneLastRaven

Reaction score
Country
United States
As I was doing my daily inspection of my Tiger's tank he came romping up to me like normal, which is went I noticed a small lump on his tail. I assumed at first some of his poop has gotten stuck on him (he has a bad habit of pooping in his water bowl so I do regular changes). I rubbed it with a qtip and it was a hard! I've immediately got him on paper towel quarantine away from my American Toad and Leopard Gecko. Picture included. I am worried it's a bacterial infection or possibly a tumor.
16791746226601118593651768657590.jpg
16791746941883158788121883122781.jpg

TBH, you might need a vet to actually diagnose it. My guess is some sort of tumor though as well.

I'm assuming he is wild caught. Could it be parasites, like nematodes?

As I was doing my daily inspection of my Tiger's tank he came romping up to me like normal, which is went I noticed a small lump on his tail. I assumed at first some of his poop has gotten stuck on him (he has a bad habit of pooping in his water bowl so I do regular changes). I rubbed it with a qtip and it was a hard! I've immediately got him on paper towel quarantine away from my American Toad and Leopard Gecko. Picture included. I am worried it's a bacterial infection or possibly a tumor.View attachment 95385View attachment 95386
i am by no means a vet, nor do i have any experience caring for tiger sals, but the description and visual appearance of the growth makes me think it is a cyst. either way, it definitely needs to be seen by a vet.

I DO!!! HE'S NOT OPEN ON WEEKENDS THOUGH SO I GOTTA WAIT!!

WHY ARE WE YELLING??

I DO!!! HE'S NOT OPEN ON WEEKENDS THOUGH SO I GOTTA WAIT!!

WHY ARE WE YELLING??
Sorry, I wasn't yelling. I was just writing all caps for emphasis as veterinarian care has been brought up multiple times. We're a community forum that can do guesswork. We're not a medical diagnostics board. Some people who have seen this or may have seen this (like @JM29) might be able to identify but we can't guarantee an accurate diagnosis. We don't have the medical supplies your veterinarian would.

Yep sorry, I hadn't clarified yet I had already decided to take him to the vet after hearing all the recommendations to. My best guess it's a cyst or tumor but I'm still taking precautions until we can get him in.

Hello,
It doesn't look infectious, or no more (past infection points ?) but the 2 lumps (I see 1 on the tail and 1 on the head ? no more ?), identical, are reddish (so bloody).
So I wouldn't touch them at all.

I have 2 questions :
You first said you had him on quarantine on paper towel from your american toad and your leopard gecko.
- is your tiger still on paper towel ? If so, gim him a better substrate so that he can burrow (less stress). And I think papel towel is not safe.
Mole salamanders need a deep substrate which have to be changed periodically because pee and poo tends to accumulate.
- do you really plan to put him with an american toad and a leopard gecko ??? I wouldn't.

It's just a hospital tank so I can monitor his poop as well as if the boils get bigger. I have a hide and water bowl in there for him as well as a cover so he feels safe. His normal tank is a 10 gal with a gradient of 2- 5 inches of substrate of ecoearth/topsoil to form a natural humidity gradient to allow him to self regulate while I keep the ambient humidity at around 70%.

And no not in the same enclosure but I just moved them out of my reptile room...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back