Small tank transfer problem!

awesomesauce

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
XxDaniBean
I'm in the middle of transferring my axie into a 20 gallon tank. I went and bought some sand for him and all of that, and he's sitting in a bag waiting to be let out into the tank. Only problem is, the sand I bought was packaged in salt water. I already have the tank filled and ready to go.

Will he be okay with a small amount of salt in the water? I put water conditioner in already and everything, I just want him to be okay!

I wouldn't use it but maybe others will have more opinions. Use play sand from home depot. You can put him in bare bottom its not a big deal then get plays and when you get to it. Just make sure to rinse play sand well.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

It's not a good idea to use sand that might have salt in it. Salt can irritate an axolotl's skin and is just generally not encouraged unless there's a fungal infection. Like Gia said, just get some play sand from a hardware store. It's best not to cut corners when it comes to the welfare of an animal, keep that in mind. ;)

I wouldn't have used it at all if I had known that it came in seawater. I already had the tank set up. It was only a few cups of water, at most, and there's about 13gallons of water in there on top of that, along with water conditioner. I decided on putting him in there, at he seems to be doing okay, but i'll definitely be watching him closely. I plan on changing out at least half of the water by tomorrow. I'm thinking it's diluted enough to not bother him, but I'm no expert. Any other advice is welcome.

Do you know how concentrated the salt is in the substrate? It may not have been just regular sea-water, but a concentrated solution. Also, what's the composition of the sand? If it's made of coral or calcium-based, it's not suitable for axolotls anyway.

I would flush it all out a couple of times to remove the salt.

He's been in there for about 2 days now.and seems to be doing fine. I'm not sure of the composition of the sand, but I will check when I get back home. I will definitely be sure to flush the sand out a few times if it isn't calcuim based. Thanks so much. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back