Small worms in tank

Gregh

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Greg
My paddletail's tank has tiny white worm-like things crawling on the glass, they're very small, and I have no idea what to think of them or what to do, any advice on a solution to get rid of them?

Planaria. (or possibly a type of oligochaete)

They are a type of flatworm, harmless to your caudate. They only thrive in clean tank water, so good on you for having tank chemistry within standards!

They really are not an issue, but if you find them a nuisance eyesore, keep the tank substrate well siphoned. Planaria feed on detritus. By keeping a pristine tank they will drastically drop in number. They are generally low light animals so do the siphoning after the tank lights have been on for a few hours. This will help to ensure you are sucking a large amount of them out of the substrate.

Truthfully, the only way to complete rid the tank of them are harmful to you pets. (medication, complete tank tear down) I personally would not worry too much about them.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml

Last edited:
Tank critters are (usually) a sign of a healthy tank ecosystem. Read the article that Johnny linked to. And above all... don't panic!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back