Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Smoky Mountains

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Hello All

So I have just got back from the Smokys where I found a lot of Salamandersand other amphibians. I was lucky enough to meet up with John and I think wehad a really successful and eventful trip.

I am unsure of some of the species I have photographed but have identified afew, hopefully you guys can have a go at identifying some of the ones I amunsure on.

Here are a few photos:D

1) Seal Salamander Desmognathus monticola??
2) Three-lined Slamander Eurycea guttolineata
3) Eastern Red-spotted Newt eft Notophthalmus viridescens
4) Seal Salamander Desmognathus monticola??
5) Jordan's Salamander Plethodon jordani
6)??
7)??
8) Imitator Salamander red cheeked Desmognathus imitator

Attachments

• America 105.jpg
    America 105.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 1,094
  • America 153.jpg
    America 153.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 616
  • America 174.jpg
    America 174.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 680
  • America 204.jpg
    America 204.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 638
  • America 193.jpg
    America 193.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 623
  • America 209.jpg
    America 209.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 548
  • America 228.jpg
    America 228.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 562
  • America 233.jpg
    America 233.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 9,035

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
More Pictures:D

9) Shoval-nosed Salamander Desmognathus marmoratus?
10) Imitator Salamander Desmognathus imitator?
11) Sping Salamander Gyrinophilus porphyriticus
12)??
13)Two-lined Salamander Eurycea bislineata
14) Black-bellied Salamander Desmognathus quadramaculatus
15)Appalachian Woodland Salamander?
16)Santeetlah Dusky Salamander Desmognathus santeetlah?

Attachments

• America 245.jpg
    America 245.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 1,137
  • America 267.jpg
    America 267.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 1,066
  • America 279.jpg
    America 279.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 673
  • America 305.jpg
    America 305.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 571
  • America 389.jpg
    America 389.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 601
  • America 395.jpg
    America 395.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 526
  • America 408.jpg
    America 408.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 506
  • America 421.jpg
    America 421.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 10,791

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
More Pictures:D

17)??
18) Black-chinned Red Salamander Pseudotriton ruber
19) Northern Slimy Salamander Plethodon glutinosus
20) Spotted Salamander Larvae Ambystoma maculatum
21) Eastern Hellbender Cryptobranchus alleganiensis

Attachments

• America 454.jpg
    America 454.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 589
  • America 489.jpg
    America 489.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 746
  • America 516.jpg
    America 516.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 593
  • America 344.jpg
    America 344.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 465
  • America 367.jpg
    America 367.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 568

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
4 and 5 are the wrong way round.
Hello All

So I have just got back from the Smokys where I found a lot of Salamandersand other amphibians. I was lucky enough to meet up with John and I think wehad a really successful and eventful trip.

I am unsure of some of the species I have photographed but have identified afew, hopefully you guys can have a go at identifying some of the ones I amunsure on.

Here are a few photos:D

1) Seal Salamander Desmognathus monticola??
2) Three-lined Slamander Eurycea guttolineata
3) Eastern Red-spotted Newt eft Notophthalmus viridescens
4) Seal Salamander Desmognathus monticola??
5) Jordan's Salamander Plethodon jordani
6)??
7)??
8) Imitator Salamander red cheeked Desmognathus imitator

Molch

Reaction score
totally awesome! If I ever found a real P. ruber in the wild, I'd instantly die of bliss...

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
It was amazing I found two while driving up and down the road outside my uncles gas station on the last night. I was very lucky as it rained that night.

totally awesome! If I ever found a real P. ruber in the wild, I'd instantly die of bliss...

will_j

Salamandra Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great photos, thanks for sharing! Herping in the Appalachians is on my wildlife bucketlist!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been computer-less since I got back until the day before yesterday, so I haven't gone through all of the photos yet, frankly. I am still having a hard time with some of the duskies but I will definitely clear things up for you asap. I believe you've got a Plethodon shermani for number 15, it's just from the red-less population. Your Eurycea bislineata is likely a Eurycea wilderae. I had a great time, particularly on the Sunday. Finding the Hellbender was fantastic! You were quite lucky too on some of the finds I think - getting a great rainy night to find ruber, and turning up a spring salamander considering how little time we spent looking on the Saturday.

It was a real pleasure, Jay - come back any time and we'll go "hunting"!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Aaaaaargh......aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.....the pain.......it´s unbearable...

Fantastic finds! Each and everyone of those makes me want to hate you, specially the Cryptobranchus, of course. It must have been a brilliant experience...
The Ioannes hiberniaensis was also a pretty nice find.

By the way, it took me 5 min to write this because i had to stop every few seconds to scream.

jaster

Reaction score
Looks like a great time! Sorry I never contacted you John, that was a busy weekend dealing with works among other issues... The weather was a bit dry and chilly here anyway. If you want, I could give some educated guesses on the dusky shots. The picture of D. marmoratus most likely isn't. Unless you found it in the stream a good bit, they can be very aquatic. The ones we have here are darker in color and have a recognizable blotching on the back. Most of the other questionables are desmogs. Some look more like D. orestes or D. fuscus, maybe even D. monticola. When they are young, good luck IDing the species. If that is a D. santeetlah, your location on that find is crucial. They are separated from D. fuscus by what mountain you were on and the elevation.

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Those Duskies are hard work not just photographing them but working outwhich species they are, so that would be great. My photos are not great foridentifying the duskies I am sure yours are much clearer.

I will be back, just need to save up some money for a flight. This time Iwill leave the gf at home and we can do some serious hunting.:D

Kind Regards

Jay

I've been computer-less since I got back until the day before yesterday, so I haven't gone through all of the photos yet, frankly. I am still having a hard time with some of the duskies but I will definitely clear things up for you asap. I believe you've got a Plethodon shermani for number 15, it's just from the red-less population. Your Eurycea bislineata is likely a Eurycea wilderae. I had a great time, particularly on the Sunday. Finding the Hellbender was fantastic! You were quite lucky too on some of the finds I think - getting a great rainy night to find ruber, and turning up a spring salamander considering how little time we spent looking on the Saturday.

It was a real pleasure, Jay - come back any time and we'll go "hunting"!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
We did see at least one santeetlah (nice red stripe) but I don't know if it's one of the photos Jay has posted. I need to get on my photos and post some. I agree on the marmoratus - that ain't one.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
"red-less" shermani? Wouldn't that be metcalfi? There is some hybridization around GSMNP between jordani complex and glutinosus complex, but shermani isn't found in the park. Looks like the one in the photo has some minor spotting.

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Yeah you are correct there is a small amount of red on each of the legs some of my photos show it better.

Kind regards
Jay
"red-less" shermani? Wouldn't that be metcalfi? There is some hybridization around GSMNP between jordani complex and glutinosus complex, but shermani isn't found in the park. Looks like the one in the photo has some minor spotting.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow Tim, I was beginning to think you had passed away. Glad to see that's not the case. Yes, redless shermani. Well known population in the Unicoi mountains that very rarely has any significant red, and that is where Jay was staying with his Uncle. Obviously not in the Smokys that day.

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Yeah I found that on that Super Sunday when we found the Hellbender. Me and my Uncle went out at night and went back to the same location as the Hellbender and looked in the stream opposite the river. That little guy I saw climbing up the bank lucky spot.

Kind Regards
Jay
Wow Tim, I was beginning to think you had passed away. Glad to see that's not the case. Yes, redless shermani. Well known population in the Unicoi mountains that very rarely has any significant red, and that is where Jay was staying with his Uncle. Obviously not in the Smokys that day.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Still alive, but had a major house move, a few illnesses in the family, and been very busy being a father among other things :)

I'm still at the zoo though, and still plugging away at getting the Guatemala stuff off the ground.

Looks like you had a great trip!
Tim

Todd Pierson

Reaction score
Looks like fun! A few identifications suggestions:

1) Desmognathus ocoee
5) Desmognathus fuscus/santeetlah
6) Desmognathus ocoee
7) Desmognathus ocoee
9) Desmognathus fuscus/santeetlah
12) Young Desmognathus monticola
15) Plethodon sp.--I'll take John's word about "red-less" shermani
16) Desmognathus monticola
17) Young Desmognathus monticola

Steve B

Reaction score
There is a field guide from the Smoky Mountain Natural History Association that lists all the salamanders with pictures and characteristics in the Smokies if that would help. They are available online. It is a nice feild guide and lists what elevations each can be found at which helps narrow your search.
I'm not sure which would be a better find, the hellbender or Jordan's..Been looking for a hellbender for years. Did not know they were fully aquatic till recently. From what I underdstand, Jordan's are indiginous to the national park.
I go backpacking there frequently in the cooler months (Oct-April) if anyone is interested in such a thing. Will be leading some dayhike/carcamp trips when it warms up. I am an organizer for a hiking "meetup" if any of your are familiar with them. I am in the process of hiking all 900 miles of trail there. 125 to go!!!:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!