So... Hot...

allegoriest

Reaction score
Country
United States
So everything has gone bad this week. Car died, no sleepies, now a/c died. So it's like 95 in my house. I filled the bottom of his little house with water, and he has his pool. (I have a drainage area with rocks and mesh over it so the soil doesn't get in there.) I've been spraying him alot (can't sleep, might melt) but I probably have to sleep sometime this weekend.

And... uhh... what happens if this keeps up? Can I maybe put an icepack like for headaches on top of the metal mesh screen over his tank and hope the cold falls down there?

...And yes, you'd think I'd have a fan since I live in a land where 95 at night could be much worse, and you'd be very very wrong. I'm hoping to replace the fan motor tomorrow, but I am the level of smart that doesn't have a portable fan, so, uhh, yeah.)

Is there anything I can do, at home, at 3:30 am, on a holiday, without a car or money? (Can't sleep, might melt.)

Can you get a cool box? If you can get one of the hard plastic ones, you can set it up as a temporary home, with ice bottles added, or if you have a soft one, put a plastic box inside it and set it up. It will keep cold a lot longer and give you some time to sleep!

In a pinch once at an expo, I draped a plastic bag filled with ice water over half a Solo cup (sliced in half, lengthwise).

All 3 of the salamanders in the tank hung out in that cup the rest of the day. I had to keep replenishing the ice, but it kept them cool when I had no other options.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back