So, what are those?

JoeyEnglish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lovely adult axolotl kids laid, very successfully. I rehoused 30 & kept 3 for my 6 foot huge water trough. Until just now they’ve been separated. I’ve introduced them to a large tank & once they were in I noticed one is not like the others, not at all. Silver Dalmation? She/ he is purple/ light purple, bright gills, totally dark eyes with no gold ring & a white under belly.
37D5C7DC-EC72-484D-B8B7-DC7D9A366AC4.jpeg

Attachments

• 1E172FD6-D890-48D4-A71F-3B2FAEDC1A25.jpeg
    1E172FD6-D890-48D4-A71F-3B2FAEDC1A25.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Wow that axolotl is beautiful! I would have to think Silver Dalmatian but since its so young you can never really be certain. And wow your aquarium is so cool looking, is that a coconut bowl?

Thank you. It is yes, I’ve been keeping them for years & have moved away from plastic stuff so go for natural - with grass & plants in the sand etc. I boil & boil the coconuts from bird feeders & hook them up. They love them. I also (with the littler ones) do the same with empty walnuts & then squirt live bloodworm into that pile of shells. They like that a lot.

I’ll keep an eye as he/she grows, so far it’s really stunning.

Here is the under belly but with a tiny bit of light so it’s not picking up her purple.

Attachments

• 362CCD9B-0641-41B4-9015-5FEC2875B4E7.jpeg
    362CCD9B-0641-41B4-9015-5FEC2875B4E7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back