(Solved) RESPOND ASAP PLEASE, AXOLOTL MOVING

Reaction score
Country
United States
Recently the temperature has gotten super high, and I am fighting extremely hard to keep the water below 70... I was getting ready to move him in a couple of weeks, but he is acting stressed and I need to move him to our nice cool basement TONIGHT. Does anybody have any tips on how to get an axolotl into a small tub so I can drain and move the tank? I’ve never taken him out before, and would be grateful if you guys have any tips about how to get him in... Please respond ASAP, as I’m going to move him tonight no matter what. Thanks!!!

If you have a small net, that would work fine.

A small tub (like one of those Tupperware boxes) too: just put it in the water and scoop up the axolotl.
If you have never done it before, they might spook a bit and start trashing, so be sure to put on a lid or something.

Really, anything that's big enough to hold the axolotl works. I've even done it with plastic bags: put the bag in the aquarium and scoop up the axolotl. It doesn't need to be complicated.

Last edited:
Thanks for responding! I moved him last night in a large Tupperware and while he was stressed, he’s now down in our much cooler basement and adjusting well!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back