Some Bolitoglossa IDs from Honduras needed

asnyder

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Andrew
Hello all this is my first post here at caudata.org. This past summer I went to Cusuco National Park in Honduras with Operation Wallacea to be a research assistant to the herpetological studies. I will be returning this coming summer for two months to conduct my own herpetological surveys so I can't wait to see what I can find. I know that many of the patterns are highly variable and my guides by McCranie and Wilson do not show some of the species variations that I encountered. I would love if some of you could assist. Sorry for the large pics. Sorry that some of them have debris on them. I guess out of my excitement for finding something new I didn't really stop to think about making a great photo, which is certainly going to be different next summer.
3003966585_b94e1d586c_b.jpg

2. Bolitoglossa rufescens?
3147218549_5eaa1d4a63_b.jpg

3.Bolitoglossa porrasorum?
3172165631_319d4f0323_b.jpg

3175482846_3ee8fccee2_b.jpg

I have to say that I'm useless for IDs on this group, but... their little feet are adorable! I had no idea they looked like little alien suckers.

I think your best bet would be to contact Russ Cormack or Dick Bartlett. I think those two are probably the best shot at IDing Bolitoglossids. They're pretty uncommon, but very cool.

Out of my league, I wish I was well versed in them. Mr. Bartlett may be able to send you down the right path.

Hi Andy, I missed you at AB(C)M. Hope you had a good visit.

I would try the good Drs. Pappenfuss and Wake. Gabriela Parra-Olea is another possibility, though I'm not sure how much she's done with Honduran species.

Good luck!
-Tim

Hi Andy, I missed you at AB(C)M. Hope you had a good visit.

I would try the good Drs. Pappenfuss and Wake. Gabriela Parra-Olea is another possibility, though I'm not sure how much she's done with Honduran species.

Good luck!
-Tim

I'm sorry, what is AB(C)M?

I am going to be forwarding all of my photos to Dick Bartlett and I figure it only makes sense to send them to James McCranie and Larry David Wilson as they are considered the leading experts on Honduran species. Figure I will be finding plenty of Bolitoglossas next summer and would like to be able to ID them as well as possible on the spot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back