Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Some pics

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
set up a vivarium a couple weeks ago and finally put my D. ensatus in... thought I'd post some pics.

Attachments

• D. Ensatus_1.jpg
    D. Ensatus_1.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,460
  • D. Ensatus_4.jpg
    D. Ensatus_4.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 5,345

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
I agree with Nathan, we need more pics! It looks great, I'd love to have those ferns in my setup. Are they all silk? They right one looks pretty real.

Mitch

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
all the plants were collected with the exception of the five finger fern which was about 5 bucks...
all native plants... I have found that wild strawberries do very well in vivarium as do the sword ferns... they both seem to stand up to "heavy" caudate trampling...

Attachments

• D. Ensatus_5.jpg
    D. Ensatus_5.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 888
  • d. ensatus vivarium.jpg
    d. ensatus vivarium.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 27,521

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
oh, another note... The light is not as intense at it seems in the pictures. The brightness of the photos comes from the long exposures it took to pick up enough detail...
oh and sorry for the graininess of the close up... my film speed was set pretty high.

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
thanks chip! it didn't come out quite as I envisioned but I'm pretty happy with it... things always have a way of changing once you stuff two tree roots and a filter-pump in the tank... gotta go with whatever fits...

Hunting down everything for a vivarium like this is too much fun... probably my OCD kicking in...

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I love naturalistic set-ups and yours looks great...however i´d say it´s quite an small tank isn´t it?

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
yes, it is a bit small for this guy at 12X12 but it's kind of a short term thing... I have a 20 gallon long that houses a D. tenebrosus larva of about 3 inches... I hope to swap the tanks eventually, but the larger tank has no top and I need to fabricate one out of acrylic (which is going to be a little tricky) before I make any changes... It's also been very warm here in Cali and having him in a semi-aquatic rather than the slightly larger, terrestrial set up he was in helps with the heat.

I also have a huge 40 gallon wide that has been collecting dust for a couple years, I really, really want to make a huge river/stream vivarium with it but I just don't have the space... even in my new place...

Reactions: 454

ODell

Reaction score
Looks like an excellent setup for a Dicamptodon, very naturalistic. I am glad you realize that it is a little on the small side for that salamander.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!