Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Some youngsters I grew from eggs.

bugdozer

Reaction score
Here are some larvae/juveniles that I hatched from eggs. I have never kept axolotls before and am surprised I have any still alive. In fact, I have 23! (would be 24 except the largest one had to be re-homed... bit of a biter.)
2014-01-05174422_zps301cc811.jpg

2014-01-05174346_zps20aceeb3.jpg

2014-01-05174035_zpseb523c53.jpg

2014-01-05174003_zps34d49299.jpg

Dipsy66

Reaction score
Seeing your pics makes me really excited for the future of my babies.....yours are well cute. :happy:

EmbryH

Reaction score
Gorgeous and impressive! These babies have lovely patterns and iridophores. They look very healthy and the tank looks great, yet you say you've never kept axolotls before?

I'm really impressed.

Raising axies from eggs can be challenging. I'm even still a bit nervous about it, and I've been keeping axolotls for 2+ years now. You must have really tucked in and studied a lot about how to take care of them well. Very impressive. Congratulations, and keep it up :)

bugdozer

Reaction score
I did read up a lot on this forum more than anything else. The experience of the members here has been a great resource. The only reason I have them at all is because a friend who owns the parents had said they always died when he tried to raise them and I wanted to see if I could do better! All I've done is made sure I've been rigorous with water changes, cleaning the tank (it looks filthy in the pictures but it's just the lighting!) and what I think helps is I've kept the two tanks quite full with a large volume of water, to minimise any ammonia impact, rather than adopting the shallow water approach some people favour. The fish shop near me has a good book on axolotl care that I might buy if I end up keeping any. Glad you like the pictures, anyway :)

bugdozer

Reaction score
Finally managed to get some half decent pictures of the two albinos from the batch - the larger is Galadriel, the smaller is Snowball. :eek:

Attachments

• snowball.jpg
    snowball.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 276
  • galadriel.jpg
    galadriel.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 187

bugdozer

Reaction score
Here's one of the six I still have at home, hiding in the weed...

Attachments

• weedy.jpg
    weedy.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 175

bugdozer

Reaction score
And this is how big they are now: Galadriel (the albino) and Anders - once the two smallest of my juvies, now whacking great crocodiles!

Attachments

• galadriel.jpg
    galadriel.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 155
  • Anders.jpg
    Anders.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 156

preternatural

Reaction score
Wow, those are gorgeous, especially Anders. I'm glad you're having such great success with them.

bugdozer

Reaction score
The latest picture of Anders, surveying his domain (I was actually trying to photograph the other one for the "Golden Axie Picture" thread, but of course that one slunk off to hide and this one popped up.)

Attachments

• Anders2.jpg
    Anders2.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 135
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!