Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Something for a 10 gallon tank?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I like that idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
You could also get ensatina. They are amazing and are beautiful.
Posted via Mobile Device
And protected in many places - need to do your research (care and legal) before trying to get some.
Posted via Mobile Device

Herpin Man

Reaction score
Whatever species you go with, use a tight fitting lid. Standard aquarium lids aren't going to cut it.
Posted via Mobile Device

MnGuy

Reaction score
A pair of alpine newts is a solid plan. They are so beautiful. Make sure you keep the water a few inches below the top of the tank and leave some floating cork for them to haul out on. Floating plants also help them hang out near the surface. Mine like to use floating plants as anchors while they rest near the surface. Although they are very aquatic (I've read that some subspecies are more terrestrial, so do your research), I wouldn't keep them in deep water. They like to surface often for air. My female will completely haul out onto a log on occasion.

I keep a trio in a 20 long. I wouldn't keep more than two in a 10 gallon.

Make sure you get a tight-fitting screen lid for your tank. They will crawl out of the smallest hole, even if it APPEARS as if they cannot reach it. They will find a way.

Good luck.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Firebellies could work in a 10g if you can find them, but you'd be pushing it with Crested newts and Spanish ribbed newts are way too big, they're huge!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!