Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Something wrong with his legs...?

Aimee

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I really hope someone can help me out...

For the past two days I've noticed one of my african dwarfies holding his hind legs in a way that looks quite unnatural. The knee joints seems to be deformed/disfigured in that instead of forming a smooth angle between the femur and tibiofibula, they are kiltered up, resulting in the tibiofibula sitting directly above the femur...like his knees are bending the wrong way

His movements seem normal and unhindered...it's just when he's sitting still that this happens.

He also seems slightly lethargic, not showing much interest during feeding time.

Diet consists primarily of frozen bloodworms with occasional brine shrimp or algae waffer. I try mixing commercial frog pellets in each feeding, but I've never actually seen any (I have 5 frogs total) successfuly eat any.

Could this be metabolic bone disease brought on from a lack of calcium in the diet?

Water parameters are fine: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20-40 nitrate, temp of 74-80 F

What do you guys think? He really doesn't seem very happy...
frown.gif

I tried to attach some photos...sorry they aren't very good quality

Attachments

• 100_0279.jpg
    100_0279.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 454
  • 100_0282.jpg
    100_0282.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 380

SUZY

Reaction score
I'm truly sorry that this hasn't been answered. Hope that things are okay with your froggie. My guess would be metabolic disorder. Wish that I could help more.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1