Somethings wrong with Lenny!

kezben

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Ben
Lenny one of our first Axolotles is sick, it seems both legs on his right side are paralised.. for the past two days now.

his legs have now gone very white and inflamed.

he tends to just float around @ the top of the tank, and or just sit on top of some leaves of our driftwood plant.

Recently we have purchased another Axolotle, he is much bigger and has been attacking our two first axolotles tales.

Does anyone know whats happening to lennys legs? and is it because of the new *addition* to the axolotle family?

I will post photos up tomorrow.

I myself am having the same problem as you right now. I have 2 female axolotl, but it is the younger of the 2 that has been attacking my older axie.

She won't eat, her legs have been damaged (sore and swollen) by the other. I removed her and she spent 3 days in my fridge resting and having some quiet time. During this time her swollen leg started to get better although she still wouldn't eat which is entirely normal when they are being fridged.
I popped her back into the tank yesterday (after slowly bringing her container water temperature back up).

Overnight she appears to have been attacked yet again. She is now sporting 3 sore legs. Today she is going back into her original tank Which I am setting up later this afternoon (once the rug rat is asleep).
I am hoping this will aid her recovery and I doubt I will put her back into the tank with the other.

In your case I would suggest popping your sick axolotl into a container filled with tank water and putting this into the fridge.
Your axolotl will be fine in the fridge, they love the colder temperature and it aids recovery.
You need to change the water in the container completely every day. I did this by removing enough water from the main tank to refill the fridge container and then ditched the old container water and put in the fresh.
You need to watch out for fungus developing on the legs if they have been wounded. If they do then salt baths are sometimes needed .
You may have to consider rehoming your new addition in another tank or finding a new home for it elsewhere

Thanks for that, ill give it a go and let you know how it goes.

Do i need to take precaustions with escaping and so on when refridgerating lenny?

Do i need to take precaustions with escaping and so on when refridgerating lenny?

Hi Kezben,

If Lenny is floating, just put enough water to cover his back so he cannot float while in the fridge, being unable to touch the ground can further stress an unwell axolotl.

When friging an axolotl, it is advisable to put a lid on the container to prevent escape and also wrap the container with a teatowel so Lenny is not disturbed by the fridge light when the fridge door is opened and closed.

Cheers Jacq.

here are some photos taken this afternoon - i think its beginning to look like fungus... is there any other way to heal it than a salt bath?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 167
A tea bath is a good idea, there is a good article on it somewhere, I dont know where I saw the link but another user might know

i gave lenny a good salt batrh, a large amount of fungus was removed in this process, i have also placed lenny in the fridge to heal for now... i will keep everyone updated. it looks like he will be losing a rear leg very shortly... its very upsetting.

Just letting you all know.. Lenny died last thursday.

He did alright for a while, the fungus dicipated, although he eventually lost his front and rear left legs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back