SORRY still need feeding help- video LINK

A

adam

hi i still need help about feeding my axie it hasent eatin in over 4 weeks its very skinny also it has a bump on top of his back legs on both sides and his tail fin is not high on his back PLEASE HELP

heres a link to me trying to feed it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-KXyjl5qZ0

Wow, your axie is skinny.

couldn't see the bump, but it could be because it's so skinny.

My sister's older axies have a very low tail fin on their backs.

Are you able to take your axie out and put in in a container of dechlorinated water, and if too hot, put him in the fridge changing the water 100% daily.

Just that if you can increase the temperature of fridge to 9 degrees, it may be cool enough but will also allow him to feed if he wants.

If you can't keep in fridge then keep in a container doing the changes but only if you can keep the tmperature cooler than 20 degrees.

Just thought it might be easier to feed him things like frozen blood worm cube (rinse b4 adding to container as it fouls pretty fast); or live bloodworm if you can access some; leave an earthworm in the container with him (chop it to about a few 1/2 inch bits (just in case the worm is too long to swallow); try axolotl pellets - aquarium science or master foods brands. he might be more inclined to have a go if you drop it in on him and check back a bit later (this is how my sister got hers to eat gradually back to health - they wouldn't take handfed food when they were sick but would snuffle after the lid was back on).

I know that Australia has been having some rather hot weather, so if temperatures a concern, you could just take him out of the tank to feed him in a container or sink a bowl in (like some people do and leave some food in)

btw do you add anything to your tankwater and were your ammonia, nitrite readings 0 when you tested?

the water its in now is prity cold i just put him in that tank today so i wouldnt no the readings ive also tried prawns he does the same thing to that food as well also how many axies can i keep in a 2ft tank ill try puting him in a container tomorrow for how long would i have to keep in the container NOT IN FRIDGE tho

2ft tank is only really good for one as they can grow to 30cm, my sisters range from 28-32cm+. Also, if you do get another axie, and a bigger tank (if your current one improves; make sure you quarantine the new one for 30 days).

Just hoping it might work and he might take a bite. I used to visit my sister when hers were sick/in the non eating stage; and she was quite stressed and tried feeding twice a day (or leaving food in then clearing it after a few hours whatever hadn't been eaten - tho worms even cut up pieces can last quite a few days). She also did complete daily waterchanges.

Try for a few days if the temperatures are low enuf (room temperature below 20 degrees) so he isn't stressed any more than need be. Just that the gravel in the tank looks swallowable, up to 2cm if your axie is full sized can can take up to a year to get rid of stones/gravel through pooing out. Also, another axie learning experience learned watching my sister's new additions.

Did you cycle this tank before adding him, or was it established (up and running for a while) before you added him?

i put the old water from the other tank in the new one and then filled the rest up with normal water he might of swallowed some gravel becuase when i first feed him pellets he was diging for them then ate them and i havent really seen any poo in the tank

You should try and remove the gravel as it can block them up; my sister's axies are still pooing out bits of gravel (she's had them on sand for a year now). At best they would survive, at worst they could block up, possibly have a prolapse and die.

Just adding the old water from your tank doesn't necessarily mean it's cycled. Did you use the same filter, transfer over the same gravel and decorations that were in his previous tank as these would have the good bacteria already established on them.

Might pay to test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.

Poo can disintegrate pretty fast. On the other hand if he pooed out any gravel he's swallowed you wouldn't recognise it as being poo because it just blends in.

I can't tell in the video... is the axie trying to grab the worm, or completely ignoring it?

The axie is very starved, and at this point it may be difficult for it to re-start eating. When it does eat, it should be a small amount of food to start with. Try frozen bloodworms, but it would be best to feed them to him in a container with a bare bottom (no gravel).

its ignoring the worm i have a under gravel filter wont the sand be sucked in to the filter

better to use a differant filter or just use the under gravel but with large river pebbles instead, just get rid of the gravel try going to a bait shop and getting the smelliest softest pellets they've got and see whether the smell entisess him to eat

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back