Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

South Wales Herp show this sunday !!!!

xxianxx

Reaction score
SWARE show will take place on Sunday the 14th April 2013 and the venue is

Pill Millenium Centre
Courtybella Terrace,
Pill,
Newport.
NP20 2GH

The show starts at 10:30am

Table holders can begin setting up from 8am.
Also do not forget that our one day off for a full calendar year membership to CREAKS at a massively reduced rate.
Dont forget BAKs in Cannock next sunday B.A.K.S

Tigermoth

Reaction score
So wish I could go, it's good to know that shows do exist for herps hopefully a few new fans on the way. I had a (rescue) paddletail newt for 8 years and he was fantastic, now love my Axxie and would have more if I had the room xxx

If your going please take loads of piccies and tell us all how it went xxx :frog:

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your going please take loads of piccies and tell us all how it went xxx :frog:

I took my camera but the show had a "no photography" policy so it stayed in it's bag. It was a very busy show with lots of reptiles, a few amphibians and inverts. Some of the geckos on sale were really stunning. Ian was the only person flying the flag for tailed amphibians with his axolotls. Nice to have a quick chat with Ian and Ken too :happy:.

Last edited:

xxianxx

Reaction score
The no photo rules sucked as I was hoping to take a few shots for myself, there was an official photographer wondering about so hopefully we will eventually see some great pics. As Mark said caudates were thin on the ground but the reptiles were amazing, if you like scaly things with teeth. The venue was packed out and I had the pleasure of meeting a couple of caudata.org members who left with some very nice axolotls. My suprise sales of the day were funnily enough ..... snails.... I sold out. Fortunately after years of studiously neglecting them and feeding them to my axolotls I have an uber strain of greater pond snail Google Image Result for http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fnXu10W5PIY/TAALTpqI5-I/AAAAAAAADfA/EIYnxaypNok/s1600/snail.jpg they grow fast and look good (golden when fully grown at 2"), leave the plants alone, eat hydra and algae. They also dont kill axolotls despite their bad press . I will have a few available for next sunday at BAKs in Cannock B.A.K.S make an effort guys and support these hobbiest meetings, if they die from lack of support it's the hobby/you that suffers. You can pick up cb phibs at a fraction of their retail price, meet some of the clowns you chat to/debate/argue with in the forums and the best bit is you can talk about amphibians to someone whose eyes glaze over , look for the nearest emergency exit or open a vein through boredom.

Tigermoth

Reaction score
Shame you couldn't take pictures, but I suppose there might be some who might try to tap the glass or use flashes etc. but if there was an official photographer, hopefully they will share the images for us to swoon over xx

CJ1981

Reaction score
I really enjoyed the show and hope it's the first of many. Pleasantly surprised how busy it was but it was worth the 25 minute queue time. Some fantastic animals for sale, I wanted one of everything! :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1