Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Southern California T. Torosa Field Report

AaronK

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
This spring I had the pleasure to witness the migration and mating of Taricha torosa in Southern California. My observations and pictures are from 2 days about 3 weeks apart, 4/7/07 and 4/29/07. The breeding habitat is a slow moving cold spring shaded by trees.

On 4/7 the newts were migrating in mass away from the breeding stream. It was a cool spring day with light misting and a few sprinkles, the ground and air was damp. There were so many newts walking it was amazing. I had to be extremely careful where I walked. The forest floor was moving and every step could result in a crushed torosa. They were well camouflaged in the leaf litter but could be easily spotted by their movement. It was difficult to spot the newts in the water because the glare was too strong.

The second day, 4/29, I returned expecting to find egg masses but instead found many newts still in the breeding stream, most in amplexus. There were pairs with the male on top grasping the female. Then there were groups in tangled balls. It appeared there were many gravid females hanging around. I did not see any egg masses either.

I will return soon to look for larvae or newly morphed newts. This was a great experience and I’m looking forward to continually observing these great little animals.

Aaron

Attachments

• T_torosa_2apm.jpg
    T_torosa_2apm.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 581
  • T_torosa_2mig.jpg
    T_torosa_2mig.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 499
  • T_torosa_2water.jpg
    T_torosa_2water.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 459
  • T_torosa_4apm.jpg
    T_torosa_4apm.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 533
  • T_torosa_grav.jpg
    T_torosa_grav.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 531
  • T_torosa_juv.jpg
    T_torosa_juv.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 470
  • T_torosa_water.jpg
    T_torosa_water.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 682

DosJax 12XU

Reaction score
Wow, that's really amazing. Where was that? San Gabriel Mountains? Contra Costa?

Note from John: Read the rules for the Field Herping Forums. You are explicitly told not to ask or give locations.

Last edited by a moderator:

AaronK

Reaction score
I forgot a pic of what the stream looked like. Can you spot the newt?

Attachments

• T_torosa_find.jpg
    T_torosa_find.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 562

AaronK

Reaction score
A. Lugubris

Another pic from the first day. I found it under a log. It was my first time seeing all these guys. I am totally hooked on field herping.

Attachments

• A_lugubris2.jpg
    A_lugubris2.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 636

AaronK

Reaction score
I visited the breeding area in early September but it was mostly dried up. No newts and I couldn't stay long because it was a giant swarming mosquito nest. I returned this past weekend in between rain storms. There was a large volume of water moving through the stream and not a newt in sight. The area was not burned by the recent fires.

louise

Reaction score
Great pics-I love the mating ball! That must have been a wonderful experience for you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!