Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Southern Michigan 2013

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Had a great time with some Caudata members Gregarious, JessKB and John Clare. There were two other herpers that were a great help that were non-Caudata.org members. Though the salamander migrations weren't in full effect we still found the following.

Psuedocris crucifer/Spring Peeper
Rana sylvatica/Wood Frog
Notophthalmus louisianensis/Central Newt
Ambystoma maculatum/Yellow Spotted Salamander
Ambystoma laterale/Blue Spotted Salamander
Ambystoma tigrinum/Eastern Tiger Salamander

Finding Tiger Salamander eggs was a real highlight.

Attachments

• image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 387
  • image_2.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 378
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 421

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Good to see Jaymes! While tiggers are reportedly out in various parts of MN, and several species were reported a couple weeks ago south of Cypress Hills in SK, we haven't seen anything locally yet. A bunch of the RAD Zoo crew [Jamie, keepers Barry and Cole, and myself] road-cruised in the cold pouring rain Tuesday night, but saw nothing except racoons. There's a lengthy list of field-firsts for me to work on, but I'm mainly hoping for localish laterales and mudpuppies. I suspect some range extensions will be in store for the former.

Gregarious

Reaction score
Here is a pic of one of the Noto's. There was another Noto that was in the pond maybe an inch and a half long. I thought for sure it was a red eft but it wasn't exactly orange. We have seen efts in the pond at this time before so It didn't seem that odd. I think I was surprised at how small it was. Seeing the tigers was awesome

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!