Spanish Ribbed Newt help

B

betty

Hi! I live on Canada's west coast (Vancouver area) and was given a Spanish Ribbed Newt who lives in a 42 gallon tank. He is almost completely aquatic and seems to be doing well since I got him almost a year ago.

I am moving to Calgary, Alberta in June and have to cross A LOT of mountains to get there. My questions are... What is the safest way to move my newt so that he does not get sick? Will the numerous changes in altitude hurt him in any way?

Any suggestions or advice in this matter would be great! Please e-mail me at bettyducharme@hotmail.com

Thanks so much!

Betty

Hello Betty

don't worry about this problem. How much high are the mountain roads that you will across? more than 2.000 m. of altitude?

Anyway, my advice is: For the transport, put a little tank with clean water and mainly, full, plenty of vegetation ( movements into the water will be less on this way ).

I wouldn't be worried. The Spanish Ribbed Newt is surely the most resistant caudate of Europe.

I agree, the trip (including the altitude) will be no problem. Just be sure the newt stays at a reasonable temperature (never left in the car in the sun, for example).

I would actually transport the newt on wet paper towels or moss in a plastic container with holes. Ribbed newts are shipped this way without water, no problem.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Jennifer Macke wrote on Wednesday, 09 March, 2005 - 15:57 :</font>

"I would actually transport the newt on wet paper towels or moss in a plastic container with holes. Ribbed newts are shipped this way without water, no problem."<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

That's what I recommended her via the mail + a link to your article about shipping newts for extra info and pictures. Nice time to say another thank you for all those amazing articles you wrote. They've helped me a lot.

Thank you all SO much for such great advice... and so quickly! Much appreciated.

Hi, I'd like to see those articles that you mention and get any other tips and advice about transporting a Spanish ribbed newt. The journey may take about 12 hours and I want him to be as comfortable as possible. Thanks!

This thread is from 2005. I doubt they are still active. Just post a new thread related to the subject and other people will help you :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back