Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spanish Ribbed newt larvae disappeared

S

steve

My Spanish Ribbed newt larvae have disappeared! I have moved the tank off of the edge of the shelf and shined a flashlight on the underside of the rocks and see no clue of them. I had somewhere in the realm of 200 larvae and all have disappeared within the last two weeks. I see no corpses. Any ideas? Do snails eat them? I really don't have very many snails and all of them are relatively small. Help!

J

jennifer

Snails would eat them after they died. If they are in the tank with the parents, the adults might eat them. If you can find any of them, take them out and put them in a different container where you can see them. I would suggest not using gravel with larvae. And for 200 of them, you would need at least a couple of containers to start with, and MANY containers as they grow up.

I currently have 19 ribbed newt larvae, and I need 4 containers (one 15-gallon tank and 3 medium-sized Rubbermaid tubs). They get huge.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!