spendday

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
J
Hey,

Right im doing this for someone else who doesnt have an account

They were sold these as Pachytriton labiatus ( Chinese Paddle-tail Newt ) but I think they're some other species like a paramesotriton species (my guess is p hongkongensis) but im 100% there not paddle-tails

can anyone shed some light on what they are

P.s. Sorry for the large picture it just how they came

thanks

Your right, thats definitely not P. labiatus. I would also venture in saying that it's a Paramesotriton sp. but thats as far as I am going. I will let someone with more experience tell you what species it is.:D

Looks like a female Paramesotriton Hongkongensis.

these are mine, ive just joined so i can post more imges to help find out what they are..

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2723.jpg

IMG_2722.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

AW: Species ID please

Hello,

they are Paramesotriton hongkongensis.

You will get problems when you try to keep more than 1 male in the group.

Greetings Ingo V.

I say hongkonghensis too, but could be wrong.
A group that big as Ingo says is bound to have some problems..you´re going to need a very big tank with LOTS of hiding places.
Also, i see they cling to the bark when they should be fully aquatic. Make sure to offer them enough water (a lot more than i see in the picture).

thanks everyone..

i will move them to a bigger tank tomorrow, i have added more water, but non of them seem to go into it.. :(

when they are in it, they go mad, and try and jump out.

That means the water is not "healthy". If you are using tap water right from the faucet, you should know it contains chlorine, which is toxic for newts.
Every aquatic instalation for caudates should be cycled in advance, if you are not familiar with this, check this link:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

This is important because uncycled water is unable to treat the nasty compounds that are produced in the chemical decomposition of organic matter in the water. Those compunds are highly toxic, and if they build up they can actually kill the animals.

Make sure you use apropriate water, and that you make 20% water changes daily for the first few weeks. Also, note that live plants are of great help with keeping water chemistry healthy.

thanks azhael..

do you have a link to a full caresheet for these guys, i actually used the water from my misting bottle, so its been still for a few days anyway.
i want to read up more on them, but im trying to find a caresheet wioth all infomation on.
Thanks.

For some reason, even though Paramesotriton is a rather commonly kept genus, information is on the scarce side.
You will have your best shot at finding info if you use the search engine on this forum. There are loads of threads about Paramesotriton, and any doubts that are still dancing in your head, just ask! That´s what we are for....

pick up a copy of avs books popular amphibians and look under giant fire bellied newt. i've got three of them and this book helps alot. its real easy to care for but watch for territorial problems ie one chaseing the others from the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back