Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Speleomantes of Sardinia

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Hello All,

I went to Sardinia last weekend for three days with a friend and I thought I would share some of my pictures with you. The trip was amazing and I have always wanted to go and find these guys in the wild and photograph them. We had two species that we wanted to find Speleomantes flavus and Speleomantes sarrabusensis and we found them both so a successful trip.

I have always wanted to study theses guys in captivity and develop a breeding program as not much is known about them. Seeing them in the wild makes me even more determined to work with this endemic species in the future.

Here are some pictures.:happy:

The first three are Speleomantes flavus the next five are Speleomantes sarrabusensis.

Attachments

• IMG_1892.jpg
    IMG_1892.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_1897.jpg
    IMG_1897.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_2091.jpg
    IMG_2091.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_2127.jpg
    IMG_2127.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_2193.jpg
    IMG_2193.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_2252.jpg
    IMG_2252.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_2253.jpg
    IMG_2253.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 614

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Fantastic pics! I'm glad you and Julian found them in the end. Do you have any habitat pics?

C

Cheers

Julien has got the best photos so I am sure he will show you if you ask him. My camera is not the best for cave pictures so they are not good pictures.

Kind Regards

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
:O
I hate you...i hate you so much...:D

Smashing pictures! Thank you so much for sharing. That picture with the four sarrabusensis is just brilliant..i´m sure you laughed maniacally at the sight of so much awesomness.

Convince your friend to share his pictures with us!:)

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
:O
I hate you...i hate you so much...:D

Smashing pictures! Thank you so much for sharing. That picture with the four sarrabusensis is just brilliant..i´m sure you laughed maniacally at the sight of so much awesomness.

Convince your friend to share his pictures with us!:)

Yeah it was an amazing sight.

sergé

Reaction score
Sadly there is no one as far as I know with legal papers for Sardinian species of Speleomantes. As they are strictly protected by the Habitats Directive I don't think any of them will come into private hands easily. However before this legislation became in force Thomas Mutz dsecribed his breeding expericence with s. imperialis:

Mutz, T., (1989). ‘Haltung und Zucht des Sardischen Höhlensalamanders Hydromantes imperialis (Stefani, 1969) und einige Beobachtungen zur Ökologie der europäischen Höhlensalamander.’ Salamandra, 34: 167-180.

Of course the story of "live bearing" sarrabusensis would be worhtwhile to check in captivity, as I (and most others) don't believe any of it.

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Sadly there is no one as far as I know with legal papers for Sardinian species of Speleomantes. As they are strictly protected by the Habitats Directive I don't think any of them will come into private hands easily. However before this legislation became in force Thomas Mutz dsecribed his breeding expericence with s. imperialis:

Mutz, T., (1989). ‘Haltung und Zucht des Sardischen Höhlensalamanders Hydromantes imperialis (Stefani, 1969) und einige Beobachtungen zur Ökologie der europäischen Höhlensalamander.’ Salamandra, 34: 167-180.

Of course the story of "live bearing" sarrabusensis would be worhtwhile to check in captivity, as I (and most others) don't believe any of it.

Cheers Serge,
I was thinking more from a institutional point of view. You would of thought that at least a few institutes should keep them to safe guard populations in wild and study there behaviour.

Do you know if there is anyone studying them in the wild?

Kind regards

sergé

Reaction score
The mainland populatiosn are very well studied, the Sardinian populations not. But to be honest, I don't think they are very endangered in the wild on Sardinia. Some populations of species (imperialis, geni, flavus) actually live inside human settlements. However, some species have very small distributions or populations can be isolated. Genetic diversity is high so all that can be preserved should be preserved. And EU law demands it as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1