Spermatophores in the tank

rachemma

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I have had my buddy axel for about a year and i'm pretty sure he's a he (swolen cloaca etc) We recently got him a little friend, Parthanax, but were unsure if he/she was male or female, upon further inspection i'm thinking parthanax might be female, but he/she's not mature yet, so its hard to tell, Ok long story short ive noticed about 5 spermataphores in the tank today (I removed them) and I was wondering if axel is dropping them because hes just an excited boy to have a new buddy or parthanax is in fact a girl and ready to breed. Do male axolotls drop sperm on a whim or do they only drop it when a female is present and ready to breed?
I'm a little concerned that parthanax is too young to breed, and it might harm her, and I dont want eggs at the moment....

Re: Spermataphores in the tank

Anything is possible! In most cases, males do not drop spermatophores unless there is a female present. If you really don't want to take any chances that parthanax would lay eggs it might be a good idea to separate them.

My axolotl dropped spermataphores not long ago and he was the ONLY one in the tank. I guess this just shows that regardless of having another axolotl in the tank or not, they will still do their thing :lol:

My axolotl dropped spermataphores not long ago and he was the ONLY one in the tank. I guess this just shows that regardless of having another axolotl in the tank or not, they will still do their thing :lol:

My axie did the same, lol. He was the only one in a tank and before he dropped his 'funny packages' I wasn't 100% sure if he was a male.

Now he is in a tank with more axies, he drops spermatophores once in a while but all the axies are ignoring him or something.

My axie did the same, lol. He was the only one in a tank and before he dropped his 'funny packages' I wasn't 100% sure if he was a male.

Hahaha for the 3 months that I owned mine, I was convinced he was a she! The spermataphores proved otherwise :p

HEHEHE my axie Pitch, male, used to drop spermatophores everytime I rearranged the tank (ie. weekly), and I even caught him doing the mating dance once with Lottie who I always assumed was female.. anywho long story short, Lottie was indeed male and had tricked me AND pitch..

Lotls are strange :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back