Spermatophores... please HELP!

DaisyFlower

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hiya everyone..
So my male (around a year old) recently dropped off 1-2 spermatophores in my tank. I'm not sure if my female (same age) picked any up though...
I moved them both to a 4 ft tank last week.
If my female lays eggs, will I have to seperate her from future breeding? I really don't want to... I don't have the money for a second tank and the set up.

Hopefully you can help me! It's really appreciated.

If he dropped them off, it's likely she picked some up. Males don't usually start laying the spermatophores until the female has explicitly shown she's interested.
If you're very lucky, he's inexperienced and did it without her asking him too - but that won't last long. If it didn't happen this time, it will happen soon.

If your female lays eggs, separating them is the best thing to do. Laying eggs costs a lot of energy, and if she gets started on the next batch immediately, eventually it will have negative effects on her.

Some people get lucky and get axolotls with low libido's, that only breed in certain conditions or seasons. Most male-female combinations tend to breed a lot, though. It's best for them to have female-only or male-only tanks, only bringing them together when you intend to breed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back