Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spider-pyrrho

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They really can climb the little buggers. Don´t worry, the stunt was performed under supervision xD

Attachments

• P1080096.JPG
    P1080096.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 459

Molch

Reaction score
is that a young one? He's got all that orange on him - is that unusual for a pyrrhogaster?

Mine are so fat, lazy, and comfortable, I have never seen them climb anything :)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It is indeed a juvenile. The coloration is perfectly typical although not all individuals turn out so pretty xD
The adults don´t even bother to climb unless absolutely necessary, but the juvies are real experts!

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
but the juvies are real experts!

I wouldn't say that but rather define them as less dense and with less mass than adult newts. The body tendons, muscles, bones and power per cm3 does not vary significantly from juvies to adult for that to happen (experts)

evut

Reaction score
My babies love climbing and leave evidence in the form of little poopies on the walls of their box. One of my adult males also likes to climb.

Rodrigo, how big are your juvies and how deep is the water? And do you have a photo of the whole set up, please?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Eva, the juvies are between 4-5 cm long. The water is about 1,5 cm deep. They don´t use the water often, but they do on ocassion. The larger ones are more willing to feed underwater.

Oh, and here is a picture for you xD

And Jorge, they may not be as good as a Phelsuma but anything that can climb upside down, ignore an horizontal rim and remain stuck to a glass for hours on end, definitely is an expert to me xD

Attachments

• P1080104.JPG
    P1080104.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:

evut

Reaction score
Thanks, Rodrigo. One more question - how do you keep this clean?
(I replace most water every day and then clean everything about every 3 days.)

Another thing: my juvies have coconut huts on their islands and I can't decide if it's cruel to remove them... I think it would encourage them to go aquatic sooner but they love being inside of course... :confused:

RobM

Reaction score
Eva and Rodrigo, please stop showing off your pyrrhogaster, you are making it dangerously difficult for me to resist getting some! :p

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I remove uneaten foods and change some of the water every couple of days. I prefer not to clean it completely. I used to have a coconut shell too xD I stopped using it when i changed them to this semi-aquatic tank. While it´s true they really like hiding in them, i wouldn´t feel bad for not using it anymore. They will eventually seek refuge in the water.

Beware, Rob, once the pyrrhogaster bug bites, all hope is lost!

evut

Reaction score
That sounds a bit easier. I was worried about the slime build-up, I thought it was dangerous in a set up like this...?

Regarding resistance...yes, it must be difficult for Rob, knowing there are available juvies a stone's throw away....(where is the evil laughter smiley when you need it...?) :D

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Eva and Rodrigo, please stop showing off your pyrrhogaster, you are making it dangerously difficult for me to resist getting some! :p

I think they are plotting to take over the world with these lovelies. I keep looking at an empty tank that I have and wonder how I can fit them into a room, one of my sons could have an empty shelf , just not sure he will co-operate :(

RobM

Reaction score
Regarding resistance...yes, it must be difficult for Rob, knowing there are available juvies a stone's throw away....(where is the evil laughter smiley when you need it...?) :D
You are not helping :p
I think its going to have to happen, but I think its going to have to be either get adults or raise from eggs. What month do they start breeding?

I think they are plotting to take over the world with these lovelies. I keep looking at an empty tank that I have and wonder how I can fit them into a room, one of my sons could have an empty shelf , just not sure he will co-operate :(
Bribery?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It varies signirficantly, Rob. Generally speaking, males are ready to breed for about half the year or more in captivity, they aren´t a problem. The females can become gravid at different times of the year. Some do so in early fall, others are not ready until the spring, there´s no specific month for them to breed.
I do have eggs right now ...and really, since i´m only going to raise a small number, it´s a pitty....just saying....:p

RobM

Reaction score
:eek: why are you only raising a few?
What's the chances of the eggs surviving a trip to the UK?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Chances are quite decent, specially now that temps are low. I´d have no problem in sending you some, i very much doubt i´ll take any more out of the parent´s tank anyway.
I´m only going to raise a small number because i have 4 species breeding at the moment, very little space and not a lot of resources xD And i still have juveniles from the last breeding season...so i definitely want to keep it small and manageable :D

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Rob's lucky time!
Rodrigo, when you decide to apply that to dobrogicus, just tell me! :D

RobM

Reaction score
Well it looks like the very evil, but generous Eva and Rodrigo have won! I have just started making arrangement for new arrivals. Who will be next to fall :rolleyes:, Julia I am looking at you!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I took this picture the other day and i thought it was kind of cool because you can see the trajectory of the newt as it practiced its morning, vertical wall stroll. I like the little impressions of the feet xD

Attachments

• P1080109.JPG
    P1080109.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 293

RobM

Reaction score
It reminds me of when a computer lags and you drag something across the screen and it duplicates it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!