Spits out food. Getting so skinny. Please help

Colettem

Reaction score
Country
United States
My little guy is getting so skinny. He’s been in a quarantine tank the past two days cause he wasn’t eating and the vet recommended API furan 2. I’ve been putting ice packs in every hour to keep him extra cool. He tried to eat (his favorite are brine shrimp) and he just spits the cubes back out, but it doesn’t look like he means to. He’s done this with all kinds of food (nightcrawlers and frozen carnivore mix). I don’t know what to do. He seems like he wants to eat. It’s like he just can’t swallow or something. What should I do?

It also looks like he’s choking every time he tries to chew

He is 12.5 inches. I don’t know the parameters of the 10 gallon quarantine tank, but the water is all fresh (with a liter of dirty water from a breeder to get some good bacteria in there). His regular 20 gallon tank was fine a week ago and when I got it retested a couple days ago everything was normal except the alkalines were high. His water is usually in the 60’s (Fahrenheit) and never gets higher than the very low 70’s. Though I’ve been putting ice in with him every hour so it’s been cooler the past couple days

He but the filter this morning hard, but isn’t trying his food. I don’t know what to do. The vet can’t see him

You need to test the parameters. It sounds like you didn’t cycle the tank so you should be doing frequent water changes. Attach a picture if you could. Try blood worms and remove any uneaten food after. Make sure you thaw the food out all the way before you give it to him.

You need to test the parameters. It sounds like you didn’t cycle the tank so you should be doing frequent water changes. Attach a picture if you could. Try blood worms and remove any uneaten food after. Make sure you thaw the food out all the way before you give it to him.
I got the parameters tested today! It’s been the same tank for 2 years so it is cycled. :) the quarantine one wasn’t since it was an emergency tank and I am changing the water partially every day. I don’t have a picture of the parameters since I took it to the store to get tested. ): I’ve been trying bloodworms, but maybe they should be thawed a little more. I also found out there was algae in the original tank so I’m treating the tank before putting him back in and gonna continue to get the water tested frequently! The pH was also 8.2 and alkalines were a little higher than I’d like, so I am hoping getting rid of the algae will help that as well. Thanks for your help! I’m hoping he starts eating a little more soon. I’ll try more bloodworms tonight

He still spits out most of what he eats ): bloodworms and brine shrimp. What do I do ):

I had this happen to my bloke recently. We did really well for 4 months and suddenly we had an ammonia spike and my axolotl did just what yours is doing. He wanted to eat but would spit it out after each attempt. Trying different food had similar results.

I did a water test and had to tub him immediately. He was in a 4 foot tank by himself but I assume a sudden temperature rise may have contributed?

Within three days of tubbing him, he started eating. I gave him Hikari sinking pellets as they are easy for them to eat. He started off eating 4 pellets per day. He now also gets a large European nightcrawler each night as well as pellets in the morning.

He gained weight very quickly once he started eating. He is about 9 months old. I would recommend tubbing immediately with fresh water daily and a suitable dechlorinator. Offer worms or a good quality pellet and remove food that he won't eat.

I am pretty new to axolotl ownership so can't offer much in the way of advice other than my experience. My boy is ready to go back into his big tank this weekend but tubbing him worked wonders.

I had this happen to my bloke recently. We did really well for 4 months and suddenly we had an ammonia spike and my axolotl did just what yours is doing. He wanted to eat but would spit it out after each attempt. Trying different food had similar results.

I did a water test and had to tub him immediately. He was in a 4 foot tank by himself but I assume a sudden temperature rise may have contributed?

Within three days of tubbing him, he started eating. I gave him Hikari sinking pellets as they are easy for them to eat. He started off eating 4 pellets per day. He now also gets a large European nightcrawler each night as well as pellets in the morning.

He gained weight very quickly once he started eating. He is about 9 months old. I would recommend tubbing immediately with fresh water daily and a suitable dechlorinator. Offer worms or a good quality pellet and remove food that he won't eat.

I am pretty new to axolotl ownership so can't offer much in the way of advice other than my experience. My boy is ready to go back into his big tank this weekend but tubbing him worked wonders.
I’m glad your little guy is doing better!! My ammonia levels were fine, so I don’t believe it is that ): and by tubbing do you mean fridging? He is in a quarantine tank rn and I am doing 50% changes a day and keeping him as cool as possible. I read that fridging would be bad for trying to increase his appetite, so I’ve been hesitant. I did get him to eat a little today. At least I think he did. That or he just spread it out a lot lol but it looked like he’d eaten. His main tank has some algae so I am treating that right now and I also bought Indian almond leaves to help with any other infection he may have and to balance out the pH. I might have to try and get some of those pellets! He wouldn’t touch the nightcrawler pieces, pellets or blood worms I offered him today. Just the brine shrimp. My picky little guy. I love him with all my heart though

Good news! Little guy has been eating a ton yesterday and today! He is still skinny but his tummy definitely looks more full! I’ve been treating his tank with algae remover and Indian almond leaves to bring down the pH and his parameters are safe again! He’ll be in quarantine a couple more days to be safe. His quarantine tank parameters are looking good. He’s been trying to swim through the glass into his big tank from his little quarantine tank (poor guy). But we are looking happier today!
006B7711-AE13-463C-894A-381C36A4122E.jpeg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back