Question: Sponge filter questions

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
Hi all,

So I have been thinking of trying to "entice" my juvenile T. granulosa into a semi aquatic or mostly aquatic setup.
So, I would need a filter. And since I have heard that you don't really need a power filter in the past, and that sponge filters work well, I decide I wanted to give one a try. Plus they are less expensive :D

But doing some looking around for one got me thinking, and got me confused!

Question #1: Can I just use filter media sponges as a DIY instead of buying a sponge filter?
Question #2: Are sponge filters powered by a water pump, or an air pump? I feel like I have heard it both ways, so I am a bit confused on what is needed.
Question #3: Am I still going to need something that stirs/moves/ the water? Maybe for the plants?
Question #4: For a 10 gallon tank ( 38 liters ) how big of a sponge filter will I need?
Question #5: On a side question, is carbon bad in a internal filter if not changed every month? I read it can leak the toxins it takes in back out if its not changed every month. Is this true?

Thanks! -Seth

Last edited:
Sponge filters are inexpensive and you can run them with either an airstone or powerhead. Your choice. Either one adds water flow, probably more with a powerhead.

I made a diverter for my airstone powered sponge filter to create an outward, rather than upward flow. I like the extra aeration from the airstone.

Carbon works by absorbing toxins and junk from the water. I does need to be changed regularly, but frequency would depend on your individual water chemistry.

One can use a filter media sponge as a sponge filter by binding it around an air stone. But doing so may prevent it from doing any small amount of mechanical filtraction as there will be next to now draught into the sponge.It is less trouble to simply purchase a small sponge filter as they are often only a few dollars even for large ones, with a ten gallon tank only a small one is needed. The vast majority are driven by air, those driven by water are likely to produce a current to strong for most newts. An air stone will provide more than enough water circulation for the plants. Carbon is good in a filter because it is able to absorb contamination out of solution, it will not surrender contaminants back into solution until the water contains a profoundly lower level of contaminant (than the carbon) and even then a significant amount will remain locked into the carbon. It will not likely leach contaminants back into the water under normal circumstances. With plants, and a properly cycled aquarium that is not overburdened carbon filtration (or even a sponge filter) is unnecessary provided regular water changes are performed and an air stone is used. When they are used it is primarily to extend the stability of the water chemistry between changes, and provide an added substrate for biological filtration.

I hope that answers most of your questions, I've been reading up on filters lately myself and the above is based on what I've learned so far.

Reactions: sde
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back