Sponge filters

lol, sorry - but try it out; maybe they've made little adjustments and maybe the double version isn't noisy at all...

In my cyanurus tank I actually connected the elbow piece to a shortened spray bar ( a zoomed one cut in half). Because the sponge filter output produces only a very mild current, the water just drips out of the spray bar, kinda like raindrops falling onto the surface of the tank.

another thing about this sponge filter the foam part fits exactly over the intake basket of my eheim filters, and hence makes a great pre-filter.

i have the same filter with 2 sponges and it makes no noise at all, i guess its just luck, after all it costs more to buy a pack of chips

I use a sponge filter and I put an airstone in it. The bubbles are a lot smaller, quiet and numerous. It also cuts down on the surface turbulence.

So I'm expecting the sponge filters too arrive soon, can anyone tell me how powerful the Air Pump will need to be? could I run both of these filters off one pump with something like this:

Cheers

i would recomend one pump per filter, i find when the pump is split they are too weak or uneaven. The power doesn't really matter, just remember the more powerfull the pump the more filtration will occur. You can get great doubble air pumps with two air outputs built for use with 2 filters/ airstones.

i have this one:

Aquarium Supermarket - Aqua One SR7500 - twin outlet airpump

you cant see the two outputs but it is devided so you can have 2 air tubes comming out running seperate filters evenly with no loss of power. That or get 2 single pumps :)

remember the sponge fiters will no suck up chunks of poop so you will have to do poop scooping yourself!

Well my two sponge filters arrived today (talk about intuition:cool:) and they look great I've put them into my tank for the time being to maybe get colonised until I can get an aquarium pump (Thanks YP;))

lucky you im still waiting for mine to arrive lol still not sure what pump to get though needs to be quiet being in my bedroom :rolleyes:

lucky you im still waiting for mine to arrive lol still not sure what pump to get though needs to be quiet being in my bedroom :rolleyes:

That's a shame:( and don't hold out home for the pump to be quiet:mad: I bought a cheap 2 outlet Hailea air pump which was supposed to be quite and it's pretty noisy and that's after I've stuck it in the draw below my tank (the draw has gaps for air intake;))

I use air pumps from tetratec, I have the APS 100 and the APS 50, those are pretty quiet but I also use a timer so they switch off at night because they also are in my bedroom and although they are pretty quiet, they are not quiet enough to sleep.:rolleyes:
I only use the airpumps so I don't get a white layer on top of the water.:happy:

mmmm... but if your running filters off of it then I doubt it would be a good idea to turn it off *Sigh*

Yes, I know but if you want a quiet air pump those are ones to buy. I don't think you will find airpumps who are much quieter. ;)

What effect would turning the air pump down to it's minimum when I'm trying to sleep be? (minimum per a nozzle being 0.8lph and there's two) would it adversely effect an Axolotl? I only ask as it's actually not to bad at the moment at it's lowest setting (there's nothing in there yet..)

Nobody? okay...

onUcu.jpg

I don't think it would affect an axolotl, They'll just GASP more air instead of using their gills. Mine do that when the air pump completely switches off at night. ;)

It should not matter at all. Unlike i imagined, the air pump/air stone/sponge filter bubbles do not directly inject oxygen into the water. Its actually the disruption it causes on the waters surface which allows the oxygen to get absorbed from the surface being stirred up.

If the pump is turned down it will still be disrupting the surface almost as much and shouldn't make a difference. I get away with no bubbler in my tank because my canister filter came with a long spray bar that shoots into the water doing the same job. HOB filters are good for this too, and sponge actually. The only filter which wouldn't provide a little bit of oxygenation would be an internal pump filter if the flow never broke the surface.

Also, axies are very adaptable. Like Sven said, they can be kept in very poor oxygen conditions. Their gills will grow longer to accommodate, they will gulp more air with their lungs and they will hang out near the water line where the most oxygen is to absorb it through their gills and skin. Your axolotl will not be harmed and probably not suffer with little oxygen, however why deprive them of something when it is so easily given. It will not really affect your axie at all if you turn it to low or completely turn it off for some time. Do not worry :D

another concern would be the less filtration occurring, but it wouldn't be that much less at all. As long as the high power is on during the day the water should still stay clean. The bacteria in the filter will not suffer from having less filtration.

Excellent that's good to know as the sponge filters are horrendously noisy...

is it the filter or the actual pump which is noisy?

if its the pump putting it on a small towel will help the vibration noises.

is it the filter or the actual pump which is noisy?

if its the pump putting it on a small towel will help the vibration noises.

The pump is a bit noisy but I solved that by shutting it in a draw below my tank with a little gap for air intake:eek:

one of the filters makes a different noise to the other for some reason it's sort of like a sucking sound and it only does it intermittently and usually when I'm trying to sleep:p

would a XY-2892 Corner Aquarium Fish Tank Internal Sponge Biological Filter Large Fine from ebay be a good filter (just realised i have to do poop scooping :(:()

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back