Question: spotted not feeding

amkid247

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Spotted Salamander
i have a young (about 8 mos.) spotted salamander who has stopped eating. he usually eats two or three cuts of worm in a sitting but lately he hasnt. i moved him to the basement since around december and he has eaten while down there but now he has stopped.
is this anything to worry about?
the weather has just recently been very low here on long island and the snowstorms have been on and off for a few weeks. two days ago during a big storm he was out and about, which he usually isnt.
any information is appreciated:)

As long as there are not any obvious clinical symptoms, I wouldn't worry about your spotted not eating. As long as he has eaten regularly in the past, he should be able to go without food for a month or so if he chooses. The spring season will stimulate him with increased activity and appetite. Moving him downstairs may of cooled him down a bit which decreased his activity which is normal for them during the colder months. I maintained spotted sals. for 25 yrs., and they difinitely consumed less during the winter and rebound in the spring. You could always try a different food choice if available.

Thanks guys. I usually try to feed him every other day as he is young and growing. He doesn't really like anything besides worms and slugs but it's winter so I don't know where I'd find slugs :/

I once had a spotted salamander and it ate about once every two weeks.

well i just got really excited! my spotty has begun to dig borrows! he's actually hiding in one right now! do you think that his depleted appetite and his new borrowing have anything to do with each other?

unfortunately all my worms died, so maybe the sally was refusing them cause they were sick or something. the pet store wont have night crawlers or wax worms until Thursday though :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back