Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spotted salamander behavior question

Dyallo

Reaction score
I just received a spotted salamander and I had a general question about behavior.
All of the care instructions seem to suggest they love to hide during the day. My little guy appears to like to be out in the middle of everything during the day.
Is this regular behavior, a personality quirk, or something to be concerned about?
6555D710-FF95-4072-8B30-732D7EB229BB.jpeg

I’ve attached a picture of the little guy here.

frank beard

Reaction score
If you just got this salamander, it probably does not "know" where to hide. Once it figures out where to go you won't see anymore (unless you are looking after all the lights are out). Most terrestrial mole salamanders live in holes nearly year round and they rarely leave those holes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1