Spotted Salamander Breeding Migration

I saw a big migrating salamander!

I went out in the rain last night, 9pm, 3/10/09, and looked around woods near my house (mid-Michigan, near Lansing). 45degF. It was 50F in day. I waded and searched by the shore of a couple vernal ponds. There's also a bog I could check sometime.

I saw a 7" Jefferson as I was tromping along a trail about 200 feet uphill from water.

He was going pretty fast. I had been searching for a half hour before spotting him. What a thrill!

A little while later I noticed 2 small Jeffersons and a wood frog sitting near a tree about 50 feet away from water. They were all just perched there, doing nothing. Pretty cute, though.

Later on I saw a worm scootching along under some leaves. I noticed him while walking along.

That's it!

Someday it would be great to see a bunch of Tigers or Spotteds, with their yellow colors and hugeness.

It's interesting that it's pretty easy to see living things at night in the rain.

I was using both a headlamp and a handlight. The combo seemed good, like it reduced shadows. After my superbright handlight battery died I didn't see any more critters so who knows maybe using the right lights really helps detection.

It's supposed to get real cold again tonight, 15degF.

I went out last night here in mid-Michigan. 44degF. Light rain. 10pm.

Saw 2 nice Spotteds in vernal pond.

A dozen Jeff's.

What are the big Grays I'm seeing? No spots. 7-8" long x 5/8" thick.

On the trail walk home, 100 yds from pond, I saw nice Spotted standing boldly in trail.

I took 2 Spotteds home to show kids. I'll put them back today. Is that bad? I hope that a day out of the pond isn't critical. OK to put back in daytime? I can slide em under some leaves right where I found them.

Are they eating already? Cannibals? I also brought home a medium Jeff -- now he's not in the bucket. The biggest Spotted was very fat when I caught it and it's still fat -- there might be (another?) Jeff wedged in there, too, I suppose.

Here's my old report updated with new pics.

http://outyourbackdoor.com/article.php?id=1149

A few photos of the salamander migration we were lucky enough to witness. I thought the last one was a slimy salamander with white spots but was told this is lead back. Can anyone confirm that?

Attachments

• IMG_3671.jpg
    IMG_3671.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3669.jpg
    IMG_3669.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Screensho.jpg
    Screensho.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240308_195111.jpg
    20240308_195111.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 20240308_195056.jpg
    20240308_195056.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back