Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spray foam background

Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering if you could use spray foam and I don't mean put paint or silicone on it I just mean spray foam I was wondering if it was safe

AMurry24537

Reaction score
What are you planning to use it for (purpose, enclosure type and animal)? Also, what kind of spray foam are you talking about (this could refer to anything from insulation to carpet shampoo, lol)?

cro117

Reaction score
i've never owned a newt or salamander, will be trying my first soon, but i have used spray pond foam (black) many times in many different tanks, with inhabitants ranging from dwarf african frogs to shrimp, to fish, and i've never had any issues with it... aside from getting it all over my hands. expect to rock the black finger nail look for the next couple of weeks. that being said, id wait till someone with actual caudata experience to step in.

cro117

Reaction score
no, i usually use it hold 3d backgrounds, but there is plenty left exposed on the sides to cause an issue if it was going to, as of yet, i haven't had any. i also want to say that its safer if you don't cut into it after drying, at least that's what i've read, but i always hack away at it after, and still no issues.

Bishop.69

Reaction score
One word of hard earned advice... stick with the Great Stuff brand.

Spray foam comes in two types - open cell and closed cell foam. Open cell foams will wick water just like a sponge... it doesn't matter if it's painted with silicone or not.
Closed cell foams will not wick water.

From the research that I've done, the only closed cell foams on the market are Great Stuff. All of the other (particularly Pond and Stone type) spray foams are open cell.

Use them at your own risk. I went through three builds before I figured out the issue, and they all turned into sodden messes within a week or so.

As for safety - I've had a paludarium set up for months now with a mix of silicone painted and not, and my newts are happy as can be. There are no issues at all, once it has cured... just don't go spraying it in an inhabited tank.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I have used Tetra pond foam (the black one) several times with no issues. It doesn't expand as much as Great Stuff but it's a lot less offensively colored. They are both polyurethane foams - there's not a huge difference. I can't explain Bishop's experience other than perhaps it wasn't mixed as well as it should have been prior to spraying, or something inside had expired.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
I never saw a Lowes branded one.
i feel the need to pitch in simply because i’ve always wanted to do this-
does anyone have instructions or a tutorial on how to make a three dimensional background for a fully aquatic tank? and as for sand + silicone, how well does that work? and if i use like, grout(?) or liquid cement, how safe is that? also, weight?

Bishop.69

Reaction score
John - I initially used the Tetra brand, as it was carried at Home Depot, and black... and it wicks water. If you check their website, it is listed as an open cell polyurethane foam (it took some digging...). I'm sure that there are other brands out there that are in fact closed cell (besides Great Stuff), but I couldn't find them.

If used in a primarily aquatic enclosure, that shouldn't be a problem... but I used it in a paludarium with a fairly large terrestrial area, and a waterfall. It took three complete tear downs and re-builds before I figured out what the issue was.
Also - Great Stuff has a black foam, as well as a black Pond and Stone foam. I strongly suggest sticking with them, unless you are making an entirely aquatic set up.

As for axolotl's question -
Youtube is your friend... I'd suggest checking out the following:
  • SerpaDesign
  • Slithering Salamander Scapes
  • Biotope Gallery

They all have great builds, with very useful commentary. It's a deep and useful rabbit hole...

Aquarium safe silicone and either sand or rock dust/fragments looks great, both emersed and submerged... I also like the look of rubbing/pressing is ABV or coco fiber as well. Play around with it, and you can make something that looks great and very realistic.

Cyanoacrylate (super glue) is a good adhesive as well, and is plant safe when liquid, and critter safe when cured.

I would stay away from grout and liquid cement - depending on what you're doing, I doubt that they are ultimately critter safe.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
John - I initially used the Tetra brand, as it was carried at Home Depot, and black... and it wicks water. If you check their website, it is listed as an open cell polyurethane foam (it took some digging...). I'm sure that there are other brands out there that are in fact closed cell (besides Great Stuff), but I couldn't find them.

If used in a primarily aquatic enclosure, that shouldn't be a problem... but I used it in a paludarium with a fairly large terrestrial area, and a waterfall. It took three complete tear downs and re-builds before I figured out what the issue was.
Also - Great Stuff has a black foam, as well as a black Pond and Stone foam. I strongly suggest sticking with them, unless you are making an entirely aquatic set up.

As for axolotl's question -
Youtube is your friend... I'd suggest checking out the following:
  • SerpaDesign
  • Slithering Salamander Scapes
  • Biotope Gallery

They all have great builds, with very useful commentary. It's a deep and useful rabbit hole...

Aquarium safe silicone and either sand or rock dust/fragments looks great, both emersed and submerged... I also like the look of rubbing/pressing is ABV or coco fiber as well. Play around with it, and you can make something that looks great and very realistic.

Cyanoacrylate (super glue) is a good adhesive as well, and is plant safe when liquid, and critter safe when cured.

I would stay away from grout and liquid cement - depending on what you're doing, I doubt that they are ultimately critter safe.
interesting. thank you!! definitely going to be making something soon :)

Bishop.69

Reaction score
One thing to add here - I could see applications where the open cell foams (like the Tetra brand) would actually be superior, and that's if you were making a drip wall or similar, where something that wicks and holds water would be beneficial to growing mosses... so there's that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1