Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Starting a system for an axolotl

Suzgrif

Reaction score
I am not a neophyte on aquarium, but have never had an axolotl. we have recently moved from Florida to South Carolina (brr). We have limited space in our new habitat so I have decided to get a 20 long. I like a canister filter, and read on a website of a breeder in Florida that he uses a fluval and flow tamer bar. I have looked at a mesh top which should fit my aquarium - made by Zilla that is 30x12 and has a hinged opening: https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Reptile-Screen-Hinged-8-Inch/dp/B000VB138G/ref=sr_1_22?dchild=1&keywords=aquarium+screen+cover+29+gallon&qid=1608463591&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-22&th=1#customerReviews
ive decided on the screen because it would probably allow for HOB filter or a canister filter and a flow disperser. But the opening looks like it would be 8” square and may be too big for the safety for the axolotl’s safety from jumping. even tho I live in SC, we like our home very cool, I would like to keep the tank cool with fans, so mesh top. During the winter we keep our home about 65, but summer about 72-73.
my questions are: 1) is a canister filter overkill with the flow? I am looking at a Eheim 250.
2) can we keep cool enough in summer?
3) do you think tge axolotl could jump out of the mesh top or should I get a simple one then make holes in it for the accessories?
thanks in advance for any help and if I’ve missed anything let me know. Btw, I‘m getting everything in a piecemeal fashion and of course no animal purchased until it’s all ready.

SuzanGriffis

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
1 - Canister on a 20g L would depend on its rating - if its for up to 40 ish g you should be able to baffle enough for the 20 long
2 - Most people can - some have a few weeks of rough time with A/C or ice bottles needed around the clock then the rest of the year is fine
3 - I would buy egg crate from the hardware store - its a light cover for florescent lights and can be cut to fit

Suzgrif

Reaction score
1 - Canister on a 20g L would depend on its rating - if its for up to 40 ish g you should be able to baffle enough for the 20 long
2 - Most people can - some have a few weeks of rough time with A/C or ice bottles needed around the clock then the rest of the year is fine
3 - I would buy egg crate from the hardware store - its a light cover for florescent lights and can be cut to fit
I’ve purchased an Eheim 150. It has a spray bar, but Eheim makes one that is supposedly better than the one that comes with the filter. I think it’ll br enough, but I have time.
the egg crate sounds smart. Thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!