Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Starting with Whites tree frog

Giles

Reaction score
Well i managed to get a 60x45x60 exo terra viv for a good price on ebay so im one step closer to getting some Whites tree frogs
thumbup.gif

• Is it better to cover 3 of the 4 sides of the viv or just the back with a backing? I read somewhere that 3 sides can cut down stress.
  • What do i need to look for when buying live plants? My local Lidl has some small bromeliads in, any good? Or is it safer to get them from a more reliable source?
  • The Viv comes with a basking lamp and a thermostat and a heat mat, i can use the thermostat and heat mat (and am going to get another heat mat as i think two help humditiy, one on side and one on bottom? with the side one linked up to thermo so it doesnt over heat?). But im guessing the basking lamp is out, what the best lighting/lighting unit? Im a little unsure about this as i dont want them burning themselves on the bulb
    shock.gif
  • and a bit of an odd question to finish with, my girlfriend is worried about the electricity bill with all this, anything she needs to worry about? XD
  • If you have a planted tank, are we talking spot cleaning often? Im guessing you cant do a full clean as such or have i missed something?

frogman

Reaction score
I keep a whites (my pic) in a 20 gallon tall with no covered sides and a water dish with plastic plants. Whites make good beginners. My little girl loves to pose. I keep her with a Big eyed tree frog male successfully for 3 years. They are the best of buds. She uses a small dish for a bed. Mine also read's for at least 2 seconds.

Attachments

• CIMG5587.jpg
    CIMG5587.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,783
  • CIMG1740.jpg
    CIMG1740.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 25,452
  • CIMG0769.jpg
    CIMG0769.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 3,895
  • CIMG1734.jpg
    CIMG1734.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 37,395
  • CIMG1496.jpg
    CIMG1496.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 2,058
  • HNI_0008.JPG
    HNI_0008.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,340
  • CIMG2889_edited-1-1.jpg
    CIMG2889_edited-1-1.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,360
  • CIMG5586.jpg
    CIMG5586.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 3,657

Red Eft14

Reaction score
Well you don't have to cover the sides.A backround will help though.I mean that does make sence that covering all the sides with a backround might lower stress but its not needed for them to thrive.Also they dont need it to be overly hot the temp should be from 70-80 F with a natrual room temp drop of 5 F.The temp should never drop below 65 and even though I said they dont need it too hot they have been known to survive temps up to 95 but its not reccomended.So yeaa no heat pads needed if your temp is between 70-80 F.And any big sturdy viverium plant should be good.And what I do with my whites tree frog tank is i just spot clean everyday for like 5 mins if not even nothing too crazy since I spot clean everyday for 5 mins.And your tank could hold 4 whites tree frogs 5 at the most no more then that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1