Sticky for the Sick Axolotl subforum idea

sabre

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Beth
I noticed that the 'Axolotl Eggs, Larvae, and Breeding' subforum has a sticky for people to read before posting and it's full of good information for people to read...so that they don't have to post a thread and then have someone pass along one of those links that just nicely sums up what they wanted to know. While I don't want to discourage people from posting to get help for their axies, I've noticed that most people just post a short generic 'HELP!!!' thread that is really short on details and that creates a lag for the axie(s) in need. I realize that I'm still very new to this community, but I've already noticed a few problems that continue to pop up in the axie subforums and I've been wondering if others thought that maybe a short guide, or two, wouldn't be out of order.

1) Fishless Tank Cycling
This really seems to give a lot of people pause. They aren't aware that it can take at least a month--if they even were aware that they needed to cycle their tanks before they got axies. (There is an article about cycling that includes a bit about Fishless on Caudata Culture.) Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

2) The importance of [regular] water testing with a reliable liquid test kit.
That right there seems to be the biggest hurdle in helping people with their axies. Since poor water quality is pretty easy to fix and can really hurt axies, it's the most basic information someone can provide when looking for assistance. I realize that requiring everyone to pay for a liquid test kit is impossible, but encouraging/alerting people to post the information (and what test kit they used) could help increase the response time and decrease frustration for everyone. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to have a sick pet and, when you ask for help, you just get handed a ton of questions you can't answer because you had no idea you needed to test your water. It's certainly frustrating to not be able to help people because they haven't posted all the information you need to help them.

3) A description and/or picture of their tank set-up.
Very useful for some issues. Especially when people have gravel.

For the TL;DR folks:
I think it would be useful to have a sticky that says something like this:

Please fill out this checklist as best you can to post in this forum:

Water Parameters
Tank Cycled: (Yes/No/Not sure)
Temperature:
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Dechlorinator Used:
Testing Kit Used:

Tank Set Up
Filter:
Filter Media:
Substrate:
Number of Axolotls:
Other Inhabitants:
Other info:

Describe Your Problem Here

Thoughts? I just thought it might be helpful but I didn't want to clutter up the subforum with a potential discussion about it. :)

It would be great if people read the basics before posting the never ending
"What do I feed my axolotl?"
"I'm getting an axie - what do I need?"
types of questions which are covered in the brilliant articles on caudata.

I agree that providing all the information you've listed would be brilliant & make diagnosing possible causes of issues much faster and easier for us here who try to help - (but often we have to answer a question with a barrage of new questions).

Not having a test kit with an aquarium when you're a novice is going to make life for owner & axolotl a total nightmare.

I'm currently finding homes for lotls & I won't let them go to new homes until I've seen a picture of the tank & the test kit in the picture. I'll even give the axolotl away for free as long as they put that money towards a test kit... At least then they can keep an eye on parameters before there's a major problem.

Personally, I love using my test kit - it makes me want to buy a crazy grey haired wig & lab coat just so I can become the mad scientist at testing time ;) lol

<3 >o_o< <3

mmhmm. I agree people should be doing their own research before posting some of the questions I see often enough. Its hard for me to justify answering the same questions over and over.

I also made sure that every person that got an axie from me understood the importance of testing their water. and that if ANYTHING happens to test the water first. because 98% of the time the problem is water quality. and that they should have a "axie" tuperware container for emergencies if they need to be taken out of the water due to bad quality. and it really doesnt hurt to put them in clean dechlorinated water when there is something "just not right" because at least you know if they are in a tub of fresh water that they are in clean water and you can focus on figuring out what the real problem is.

I do agree though that this questionaire would help out a lot. Because when people post with minimal information, I'd like to know water parameters and tank setup. I also often like to know age/size of the axie in question with pictures of the problem, which can go a LONG way in helping.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back