Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

strange axolotl color??

Duchessez

Reaction score
when i was separating my axies by color stumbled across this one who appears to be a albino because it doesn’t have black eyes but it also has these black spots similar to a wild type. does anyone know what type this one is?

Attachments

• A179000F-9288-4B83-8938-518AAD670B59.jpeg
    A179000F-9288-4B83-8938-518AAD670B59.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 255
  • 20FB06B1-4EDC-4C65-AE14-AC9F5CF4C5AC.jpeg
    20FB06B1-4EDC-4C65-AE14-AC9F5CF4C5AC.jpeg
    724.6 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

CrazyForLotls

Reaction score
when i was separating my axies by color stumbled across this one who appears to be a albino because it doesn’t have black eyes but it also has these black spots similar to a wild type. does anyone know what type this one is?
I don't know what it is, but that's very interesting looking.. The lighter coloration on half of the face looks interesting as well. Could this possibly be a mosaic or chimera? That would probably be the fusing of an albino egg (hence colorless eyes) and some darker axolotl egg like a wild, axanthic, or melanoid? I'm just guessing here since I don't know much about axolotl genetics and such. Excited to see how it looks when it's bigger!

xxianxx

Reaction score
Idk how to describe that axolotl but axolotl eggs do not fuse to form chimeras, despite what axolotl keepers believe to be true. Theres enough phd biologists and zoologists in this group to respond to a thread if you wish to start one on this subject.

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Idk how to describe that axolotl but axolotl eggs do not fuse to form chimeras, despite what axolotl keepers believe to be true. Theres enough phd biologists and zoologists in this group to respond to a thread if you wish to start one on this subject.
Can you explain more? Almost every source I've read either says the opposite, or is super vague. To be clear, I don't disbelieve you, I just want to hear more/take a look through any sources you might have access to 😁)

Last edited:

AMurry24537

Reaction score
It looks to me like some of the pictures of mosaics. Do you know the genetic history of its ancestors?

xxianxx

Reaction score
Can you explain more? Almost every source I've read either says the opposite, or is super vague. To be clear, I don't disbelieve you, I just want to hear more/take a look through any sources you might have access to 😁)
When you read things on the internet you have to differentiate between opinions and fact. Chimerism in axolotls falls into a category of fact which you need to speak to a suitably qualified person about, thats not me btw, i just pay attention to them. I have googled "axolotl chimerism" and actually drawn a blank but i have read on this site from phd biolagists who have said it doesnt happen. Chimeras are just a form of mosaic. Start a thread, ask for qualafied biolagists etc to comment

Duchessez

Reaction score
It looks to me like some of the pictures of mosaics. Do you know the genetic history of its ancestors?
all i know is that it’s mother is a leuscistic and it’s father is a wild type but beyond that i’m not completely sure

mollythecow

Reaction score
Could be one of the following:
Super Dirty Leuscistic
Chimaera
Pie bald
Sliver Dalmatian
This might not help at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!