Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange death

P

paris

i have an 8 year old p waltl male who just climbed out of water yesterday-this usually means something is up. i thought perhaps he had over eaten or was temporarily ill. i checked him over and his reactions were fine(for a fat old lazy newt). but this morning i found him off the land section floating sideways-he was just dead, not swollen yet. i pulled him out and attempted to revive him but then i noticed BLOOD leaking from his vent when i palpated his abdomen and massaged his chest. right now i dont have time for a necropsy (hes in the freezer), but has anyone seen this before? any ideas on what i should look for (obviously im going to concentrate on the GI tract). i am thinking a mechanical injury of some kind but does any pathogen or parasite cause this type of symptom?

Paris...I had both my waltl die within 6 months this past year. The first one I put down to heat stress. We had a real heat wave while my family was on a summer vacation and when we came back the largest one was on land..and looking bloated. It passed soon after.

Then a couple months ago the second one - which had been thriving until that point - stopped eating, and went directly on land. Bloat started and that was it. It was a puzzle as I'd understood P waltl to be extra hardy. Both animals had been in great health for three years + . But I wonder if there was something I passed to them from my other newts. Cross contamination can happen so easily.

Gord

i dont know he history on these other than their years in captivity, i bought them a few months ago.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2