Strange growth

Mschaefer

Reaction score
Country
United States
I noticed one of my Axolotls has a furry, mittany growth on her front right paw. I know fungus looks kind of fuzzy, but this looks more like a reptile when it sheds its skin. Her foot/lower leg is now about as big around as it is long.

I'll try to get a decent photo in the next day or so, but does anybody have a good suggestion in the meantime.

Hi Mschaefer,

What colour is the 'growth'? Is it the same colour as the axolotl's skin or is it white'ish/clear?

In the mean time I would isolate the axolotl and place him/her in the fridge.

Could you advise on your water parameters (Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate) and water temperature? Water quality issues and warm water are major contributors to fungus and other diseases.

PB090007.jpg

I take it back, it looks more like her roommate is eating her. This is weird, they got along fine for almost two months.

Water temperature is just under 70', I don't have a PH test handy for you.

Hmmm..that looks like fungus to me? What is the tankmate?

Is that really an axolotl? It looks a bit funny for an axolotl. No offense though :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back