Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stream Setups

Viv

Reaction score
Hi. I have got a spare tank that I would like to make into a half land half tiny 3-4 inch deep stream. I was thinking about having a "false bottom" made of egg crate with weed blocker pinned to it to make the land area on each side of the tank. The land area would be on top of the "false bottom" and would consist of dirt, leaves, plants, etc.
Or could I do a GS stream and put sand and gravel on the silicone and have the land area around the stream?
If you have pictures of stream tanks can you please post them?
Thanks

FrogEyes

Reaction score
I use eggcrate to frame everything, create false bottoms, hidden pump and filter chambers, etc. In some places [as around pump chambers I line it with fiberglass screen to minimize small particle contamination. Polyurethane foam is then used to create a natural looking surface on top of the framework. Then it's cut, shaped, re-filled, etc. In most designs, the foam is coated with silicone one. Generally, that will be black, but I don't find black a suitable background color for many substrates. Consequently, I also use clear, which I dispense into a plastic container and mix with a tiny amount of oil paint. Child-safe oil paints are blended to the right color first, which can take a bit of paint. Fortunately, in a sealed container it can be kept for days, and it takes very little to color the silicone

Viv

Reaction score
"Stream" Setup

HI. I made tank that is semi-aquatic tank over Thanksgiving break. The tank is pretty small but it will only be temporary. I do not know which type of salamander I will put in there. Please give me some suggestions for what to put in it. Thanks

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 359
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 322
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 294
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,405
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1