Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stressed Axolotl today

Leslieks

Reaction score
I've had this axolotl for about 4 days now and he's been stressed constantly. I have him tubbed with daily water changes while his 20 gallon cycles. I'm not sure what is wrong he is eating fine I feed him earthworms. I have two other Axolotls I've had them for about a year now and I tubbed them the same way when I received them but they were never stressed like this one is so I'm not sure what could be causing it.
The two photos are while I was doing a water change so he's floating in a small container.
Thank you for any help and advice.

Attachments

• 20200319_120719.jpg
    20200319_120719.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 966
  • 20200319_120712.jpg
    20200319_120712.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 123

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
How are you gauging the stress?

hunterwho

Reaction score
I'd guess the lack of hides and "safe" spaces, plus the daily water changes, are making him stressed out. As for why this didn't happen with your other axolotls, it could just be because they're different in temperament (less easily stressed) or any number of factors. Make sure you're measuring your water quality and keeping it as optimal as possible. Good luck with getting that tank cycled!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1