Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stressed/sick Axolotl in tubbing

AlexisJG

Reaction score
Hi. okay so I have been tubbing my 2 axolotls (separately) for 1 1/2 + months because I mistakenly completely cleaned their tank (with water, no I won’t ever do it again I’ve done lots of research since) and they are in large tubs with 3 gallons of water. They are 6in. juveniles so I feed them pellets & worms every day and change their water every day. Up until like 2 days ago I used bubblers but I was afraid it has caused stress and so I took them out. My melanoid Rio has been very good throughout all of this and not really been too stressed. My leucistic Storm did very well like the first month but the past few weeks has shown signs of stress and has been struggling with fungus (keeps going away and coming back), I have done 100% black tea baths and salt baths (I haven’t done more than 1 in one day or too many of them). for about 5 days now I have added 1 drop of api pimafix to storms water it has shown improvement but today it looks bad again. I use prime water conditioner and add a few table spoons of IAL extract every day. The axies are on the ground in my guest bedroom with 2 fans blowing on them and a plastic cover for shade. (They don’t have hides because a clear slime kept growing on them so I had to take them out, I scrub their tubs with an axolotls only brush every day). Here are some photos of my storm, I love my baby so much I hate that he/she is stressed ): both of my babies eat/poop regularly. I’m not sure what to do, I’m hoping for the tank to be finished cycling within a week or so. I can only think to maybe try to give like 2-3 10 min salt baths and the next day give 2-3 black tea baths? is this a good idea? I assume it’s stress fungus but I’m not sure. any advice helps!

Attachments

• 9A9ADECE-AD1E-4576-A748-A02F677D6C7A.jpeg
    9A9ADECE-AD1E-4576-A748-A02F677D6C7A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 316
  • 26ACF161-CE88-4282-A855-C2318A17E1DF.jpeg
    26ACF161-CE88-4282-A855-C2318A17E1DF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 190
  • 7453C81E-D308-48B4-8DC5-5E33F830B4B8.jpeg
    7453C81E-D308-48B4-8DC5-5E33F830B4B8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 333
  • 38021787-702D-4263-98A8-EEF13B854A83.jpeg
    38021787-702D-4263-98A8-EEF13B854A83.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 250

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
So First stop Pimafix. Both Pimafix and Melafix can cause issues as it coats everything and can be a slime coat irritant as well. Anythimg like that you need the air stone to make oxygen more available.

Next just bathes on their own can cause stress and irritation as transferring etc

I always choose to use John's solution in every tank and tub at 20% and increase to 30% when treating fungus then back to 20%.

AlexisJG

Reaction score
So First stop Pimafix. Both Pimafix and Melafix can cause issues as it coats everything and can be a slime coat irritant as well. Anythimg like that you need the air stone to make oxygen more available.

Next just bathes on their own can cause stress and irritation as transferring etc

I always choose to use John's solution in every tank and tub at 20% and increase to 30% when treating fungus then back to 20%.
Okay. & I thought so about the baths I just didn’t know any other way to treat it. I’ve heard of Johns solution. How do you make johns solution? how much would I need to put in 3 gallons of water?

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Hi. okay so I have been tubbing my 2 axolotls (separately) for 1 1/2 + months because I mistakenly completely cleaned their tank (with water, no I won’t ever do it again I’ve done lots of research since) and they are in large tubs with 3 gallons of water. They are 6in. juveniles so I feed them pellets & worms every day and change their water every day. Up until like 2 days ago I used bubblers but I was afraid it has caused stress and so I took them out. My melanoid Rio has been very good throughout all of this and not really been too stressed. My leucistic Storm did very well like the first month but the past few weeks has shown signs of stress and has been struggling with fungus (keeps going away and coming back), I have done 100% black tea baths and salt baths (I haven’t done more than 1 in one day or too many of them). for about 5 days now I have added 1 drop of api pimafix to storms water it has shown improvement but today it looks bad again. I use prime water conditioner and add a few table spoons of IAL extract every day. The axies are on the ground in my guest bedroom with 2 fans blowing on them and a plastic cover for shade. (They don’t have hides because a clear slime kept growing on them so I had to take them out, I scrub their tubs with an axolotls only brush every day). Here are some photos of my storm, I love my baby so much I hate that he/she is stressed ): both of my babies eat/poop regularly. I’m not sure what to do, I’m hoping for the tank to be finished cycling within a week or so. I can only think to maybe try to give like 2-3 10 min salt baths and the next day give 2-3 black tea baths? is this a good idea? I assume it’s stress fungus but I’m not sure. any advice helps!
Is it just me, or does the axolotls skin look super pink? Is that normal? Sorry, I’ve never seen an axolotl that looked like that before.

AlexisJG

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does the axolotls skin look super pink? Is that normal? Sorry, I’ve never seen an axolotl that looked like that before.
I just noticed that 😅 it’s the lighting of the picture! he/she is nowhere near that pink in real life I promise, I would be worried otherwise.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!