Struggling a lot with correct feeding, need advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Toothpickthelotl
Hi! I have a year old Axolotl named toothpick. I have recently been having trouble with getting her to eat worms. She strictly will only accept pellets.
I tried night crawlers first, she ate one, and then wouldn’t touch another one again no matter what I did. I tried to cut into small pieces and give her little pieces along with some pellets to try to adjust her. Tried to blanch the worm first, etc. I then switched to red wrigglers after some advice and at first she seemed to like them, but after 2 feedings she refused again. But pellets she LOVES!! I tend to just eyeball her feedings, she lets me know when she’s hungry by swimming back and forth when i come in the room. I’ll sprinkle some pellets in her dish and then remove the rest. She will normally eat 3-4 everyday, or more every other day. They are pretty tiny pellets. She’s a healthy weight and seems perfectly fine, but I am worried that she will not eat worms!
To sum up my question, are pellets okay to be feeding as a staple diet? I know worms are normally the best, but she will not eat them.

Pellets are alright, what kind are you using? Got a link to them?

And have you tried red wriggles? When I introduce a new food to my axolotl, I put her in her tub, with only like 1.5 gallons of water, enough to cover her entirely, and then I drop the new food right over her head, letting it splash in. Usually her instinct to suck the food in kicks in and success. Have you tried anything like that?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back