Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stunted axolotl

AxolotlChomp

Reaction score
I purchased an axolotl a few months back from what I thought was a reputable breeder, turns out the axolotl was only 3 inches at almost 6 months old. I was a total beginner, and didn’t have really much outside help. His gills were burned away, he was deathly thin, he had a shedding slimecoat, ammonia burns and a fungal infection. He would barely eat anything. Almost never pooped.

Fast forward to now and he’s doing a lot better. He eats extremely well, on a diet of mainly blackworms and lately some tiny cut up nightcrawler pieces. He is not longer thin, gill filaments are fluffing out, no more burns or slimecoat issues etc. My only concern is that in three months, he’s only up to 4.5 inches from about 3. He’s rubbed, 100% water changes daily, and I feed him as much as he’ll eat twice a day. Why is he barely growing? I love him so much, and I really want him o be able to go into my tank with my other axolotl since I have nowhere else to put him. Another concern I have, is that all of his toes, his tail tip, and his gill filament tips are black. His toes have been black since I got him. Could this be a bacterial infection?

His legs don’t look stubby like a dwarf’s would, but is there anything I can do to help him grow faster?I’d love to take him to a vet, but there are literally no exotic vets near me. When I look up exotic vet on my map app, nothing even comes up.

Does anyone have any advice for my little buddy? Is he doomed to stay tiny and in a tub forever?/: I attached some photos of the black spots, but the camera doesn’t pick it up super well. I really, really appreciate any help. I love him so much and have grown so attached to my first baby that I nursed back to health. I want to do anything I can for him.

Attachments

• 5972201F-C30B-457A-A4CA-9C9DA114C6D2.jpeg
    5972201F-C30B-457A-A4CA-9C9DA114C6D2.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 251
  • F918DB37-0DAB-4372-AE33-27CEB38A739B.jpeg
    F918DB37-0DAB-4372-AE33-27CEB38A739B.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 132

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
You may have mini from being starved and neglected in those first few months. It happens more often than you think.

Dwarfs have a disproportionate appearance whereas minis are proportionate just 6" or under as adults.

Black toe tips do not worry about and dark spots on gills is likely just pigmentation.

AxolotlChomp

Reaction score
You may have mini from being starved and neglected in those first few months. It happens more often than you think.

Dwarfs have a disproportionate appearance whereas minis are proportionate just 6" or under as adults.

Black toe tips do not worry about and dark spots on gills is likely just pigmentation.

Thank you so much for your reply. So if he’s about 6 inches it’s likely he’ll be able to eventually go on sand in the tank when he’s fully grown? I believe my other is going to be around 8 inches fully grown, since she’s pretty old and on the smaller side.

AxolotlChomp

Reaction score

Also, sorry if you don’t know this, do mini’s have a good lifespan yet? Or should I expect to lose him after a year or two?

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Yes as long as you get 5-6" fine sand is perfectly fine.
Provide lots of hides so the smaller one doesn't become a snack.
Minis do okay but need to always watch for constipation is my experience. so always have a good amount of fat in the diet.

Thank you so much for your reply. So if he’s about 6 inches it’s likely he’ll be able to eventually go on sand in the tank when he’s fully grown? I believe my other is going to be around 8 inches fully grown, since she’s pretty old and on the smaller side.

AxolotlChomp

Reaction score
Yes as long as you get 5-6" fine sand is perfectly fine.
Provide lots of hides so the smaller one doesn't become a snack.
Minis do okay but need to always watch for constipation is my experience. so always have a good amount of fat in the diet.

Thank you so, so much. You’ve really put my mind at ease. I want to do right by him and let him have a good life, and I was worried I may be doing something wrong. I really appreciate your help<3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!