Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Substrate for spadefoots?

aliceinwl

Reaction score
I have a pair of Spea multiplicata. Right now I have them on moist sand, but was wondering if anyone with longterm experience has recommendations / experience using other substrates or mixes of substrates. I'm thinking of moving them over to mix of coco fiber and sand. Alternatively, I've had good luck keeping salamanders longterm on the 50:50 coconut fiber:topsoil mix. Would this work for Spea too? I could even do a third of cocofiber, topsoil and sand. With the sand alone, I'm worried there won't be any natural waste breakdown necessitating frequent substrate changes.

Nathan

Reaction score
Moist sand gets foul, and can also be difficult for some animals to burrow in. I haven't kept Spea, but I don't think they would mind a non-sand substrate as long as they can burrow in it.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Topsoil a minimum of ten inches deep. Moist not damp and semicompacted. When the surface dries out heavily mist it till the surface is saturated. Do this late afternoon or early evening. Once nightfall hits, add live insects and watch the show. Only feed after watering or they will not surface to eat. provide a water dish for them to soak in during feeding time. I would avoid coir and compost based substrates. High moisture content speeds up their metabolism and results in starvation during their normal aestivation cycles often leading to death.

Spea species feeding response has been linked to barometric pressure drops and subsonic frequencies. I can confirm this with my specimens. I water and feed them in conjunction with bass heavy music playing. (mine really respond to Juno Reactor and Cypress Hill) I keep an eye on my barometer and use it as my schedule. If the tank is dry and the mercury drops, its time to fire up the music and watch the show!

By observing them in the wild most of this summer, I found their diet consists primarily of crickets and beetles. They seem to ignore other foods.

Keep in mind that these guys are notoriously lousy captives and that you will rarely if ever see them outside of the methods described. Also note this what I use for Spea bombifrons.

chuckpowell

Reaction score
I keep mine in straight damp coco-fiber about 4" deep and they do fine. It stays light and loose and easy for them to burrow. But I think it would all depend on where your keeping them. I keep mine in a tub in doors and that's fine. If they are outdoors open to the environment you'll need a much denser substrate.

Best,

Chuck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1